« I'm showing you how | Main | Happy hour this Friday? »

Resourceful

I was thinking about how we are an interdisciplinary group and how this means we all keep our eyes on slightly different things. So I thought I'd share a few of my favorite resources...

Spirit of 1848 -- This "network of people concerned about social inequalities in health" has a very active listserv. Much of what is forwarded is articles. I certainly don't have time to read them all, but there's some really good stuff here.
The Minnesota Population Center -- The Pop Center is a "is a University-wide interdisciplinary cooperative for demographic research." They have Monday lunch (free food) seminars every week that are open to the public. The Pop Center also has many other resources that may come in handy at some point...
Epimonitor -- This publication is both online and in print. You have to pay for a subscription to see it all. It's a really fun magazine for epidemiology nerds like me!
Tobacco.org -- Who knew there was so much daily tobacco news (well, I did 'cause I subscribe to the tobacco.org listserv.)
Aetiology -- A blog from a professor of epidemiology in Iowa. Sometimes some good conversations get started here. Sometimes not.
Adventures in Science and Ethics -- Are you interested in science + ethics? I am, so I stop by here sometimes.

So tell me, what are some other resources that everyone else uses regularly... let's share!

Oh and on a related note, have you always wished that there was a MySpace or Friendster just for health researchers? Well wish no more, now there is! It's new and it's called MyMedwork. It's for professional networking. I signed up as a pioneer member when the founder invited me. Not sure that this is going anywhere but it was just so nerdy that I had to do it. Anyone want an invitation?

Love the blog. Did you know that because the U catalogs their web site really well, your blog could end up on top of search lists?

At any rate, I mean to send this to the nutrition fellows, but since I'm here ....

This is a feminist blog that I read and I came across a "dissection" of a NYT article on schools' approaches to obesity. The comments are almost as interesting as the articles ...

http://www.feministe.us/blog/archives/2007/01/08/obesity-report-cards-and-eating-disorders/#more-4328

If you go to the blog's home page there's also a thread on "when did you think you were fat/skinny" that makes for interesting reading.

g/

Funny you should mention this, G. My cousin, a very sporty 8th grade boy who just entered a serious growth spurt, had a letter sent home to his parents from school that he was at risk for obesity. His parents (my aunt and uncle) laughed... how could their 5'11" 130 pound son have possibly raised a red flag for being at risk (he has a BMI of 18.1 which is technically slightly underweight for an adult). Well here's what they discovered had happened. Due to someone's typo the school recored him as being 5'1" instead of 5'11" which would give him a BMI of 24.6 which is on the high end of normal. (A BMI of 25 is the cut-off between "normal weight" and "overweight".)

Which brings me to another of my favorite topics -- the potential downsides of excessive screening.

PS. My cousin lives in Pennsylvania (and that's where I grew up too). That must be why his parents got the letter.