« Two Children Shot Near Farview Park | Main | Minnesota Inmate Denied Tranfer to Russia »

Ten Arkansas Children Drink Windshield Wiper Fluid

An Arkansas day care owner surrendered her license Friday after 10 children at her day care were served windshield wiper fluid mistaken for Kool-Aid by an employee.
One child was hospitalized at Arkansas Children's Hospital in Little Rock when "measurable levels" of methanol were found in the child's blood, USA Today reported. Methanol is a highly toxic alcohol and can cause blindness or comas.
The day care's owner, Carolyn Bynum, said the blue fluid was purchased on a recent shopping trip and was confused for a fruit drink.
Bynum was interviewed Friday by child welfare investigators, where she gave up her license, USA Today reported.
The children at the day care ranged in age from 2 to 7. Bynum's license allowed her to care for up to 10 children.
The bright coloring of windshield wiper fluid as well as many antifreeze products may cause them to resemble fruit drinks, Laura James, a pediatric pharmacologist and toxicologist at the hospital told USA Today.
"I think the take-home message is not to have these products in the kitchen or where you're doing any kind of food preparation," James said.