Violence erupts in Tahrir Square on Sunday

As the sun set over Cairo, Egypt on Sunday, police and troops chased protestors out of Tahrir Square by firing tear gas and rubber bullets, according to the Chicago Sun-Times.

An Associated Press reporter who was at the scene said hundreds of protestors made their way back to the square come night fall, waving the red, white and black Egyptian flags chanting "Allahu Akbar," (God is the greatest) the Sun-Times reported.

"We're not going anywhere," protester Mohammad Radwan told the Sun-Times. "The mood is good now and people are chanting again."

Even after the former leader Hosni Mubarak was ousted, the Egyptian people are still angry because of the "slow pace of reforms and apparent attempts by the ruling generals to retain power over a future civilian government," the Sun-Times wrote.

"We have a single demand: The [Field Marshal Hussein Tantawi] must step down and be replaced by a civilian council," protester Ahmed Hani said of Mubarak's longtime defense minister.

Graffiti that read, "The marshal is Mubarak's dog," was scribbled in the square, the Sun-Times wrote.

The beating of protesters by troops and police left 676 injured and one dead, according to the Sun-Times.

The scene on Sunday was reported as brutal by a 21-year-old university student. Yahya el-Sawi said, "I did not support the sit-in at the beginning, but when I saw this ... I had to come back to get my brothers."