Recently in My choice Category

Hidden Images in 'Mona Lisa

Leonardo da Vinci's "Mona Lisa" is once again, puzzl

Hidden Images in 'Mona Lisa'?

Leonardo da Vinci's "Mona Lisa" is once again puzzling those who decide to take a deeper look at the mysterious painting, but one man thinks he may have discovered animal images within it, according to MSNBC.

Keir Simmons reports from London that a Rochester, New York, man Ron Piccirillo discovered what seems to be an ape's face and a lion head in the painting when he turned it on its side. The art historian said he was reading from da Vinci's notebooks, and noticed that da Vinci referenced these animals, according to MSNBC.

"I call it an accidental discovery," Piccirillo said. He told MSNBC that he was confused as to why no one else had noticed the images in the painting before.

In London, art historian Martin Kemp sees things differently. "There is deeper meaning in his paintings but there are not kind of hidden objects, not some kind of visual puzzle," he said.

The "Mona Lisa" is on display at the Louvre in Paris and it is up to those who see it up close to decide if it has hidden images in it, or to let the painting remain a mystery.

One-on-one with pop-star Adele

According to Adele, she doesn't consider herself a singer, she told Cosmo at a cozy lounge in XL Recordings office in London.

"If you were to look up the word singer in the dictionary you'd see [Etta James and Aretha Franklin]. Not mine," she said flashing her gold rings on her manicured fingers.

Although Adele's music focuses on heartbreak, this part of Adele's life doesn't consume her and define her as a person. Cosmo reported that Adele is a breath of fresh air because she talks fast, laughs loudly, and swears more than some rappers.

After graduating from high school, Adele planned on attending college and thought she would eventually work for a record label to discover talent she told Cosmo. While planning her 18th birthday, Adele heard from a record label hoping to meet with her.

Thinking it was a joke, Adele soon realized this man who called her worked for XL Recordings, and soon after she signed with the label. Feeling bad telling the story she said, "It was really that easy," she told Cosmo.

Adele then met a boy and starting dated him, but confessed that he cheated on her. "I was gutted," she said as she pounded a fist over her heart, according to Cosmo. But this relationship gave her inspiration in her album titled, "19."

The Grammy-award-winner then started dating another guy during a 6-month break from her music career. She claimed that the relationship was more severe than the first, but ended in heartbreak. "I'm fine without him," she said, "but I don't want to be without him and I still miss him."

Before leaving to meet with her manager, she reached the door and exclaimed, "God! If I find that happiness, what will I write about?" she joked. But then reassuringly said, "No, no. I really want my next album to be happy and fun."

*Can't get the interview on Cosmo's website but I linked the site anyway.

Activists take action against dog slaughter

More than 1,000 dogs intended for slaughter were saved by some 200 animal-rights activists recently in China, the Wall Street Journal reported.

The activists paid the dog traders about 80,000 yuan, or $15,500, to ensure the animal's safe release, according to the Wall Street Journal.

In Vietnam, roasted or stewed dog meat is a delicacy, and the streets of Hanoi are full of restaurants that offer this dish, the Wall Street Journal reported. According to police, traffickers in Thailand acquire stray dogs and sell them for $33 each in Vietnam, the Huffington Post reported.

Governor of the Nakhon Phanom province Rerngsak Mahavinitchaimontree, 58, organized a string of checkpoints with local police and broke up a network of smugglers in August saving 1,800 dogs, according to the Wall Street Journal.

"We raise dogs to obey us, not for food," Mahavinitchaimontree said, "We must treat them well."

Since the trafficker bust in August, animal-rights campaigners have raised about 20.7 million baht, or $690,000, to help keep the dogs at a special refuge, the Wall Street Journal reported.

Although many dogs that were intended for food have been rescued, some see no harm in eating dog meat. Dao Van Bien, a 66-year-old Hanoi man, believes that his customs should be respected and that others should not be so close-minded. "Each county has its own culture and here we eat dog," he said.

Ryan Dunn, was killed in a car accident near Philadelphia early Monday morning, The New York Times reports. He was 34.

Dunn was driving with a passenger who was later identified as Zachary Hartwell, 30, of West Chester, the production assistant for "Jackass: Number Two," was also killed in the crash, the Post-Gazette reports.

The car, which could have reached over 100 mph in a 55 mph zone hit a guardrail, flipped into the woods, crashed into a tree and burst into flames, said the Post-Gazette.

Although Dunn was most famously known for his stunts in "Jackass," he also appeared in a spin-off show, "Viva la Bam," which starred his best friend Bam Margera. He also created his own show that appeared on MTV, "Homewrecker," which rearranged people's homes in "malicious" ways, The New York Times reports.

The prank that Dunn is best known for occurred in "Jackass the Movie," where Dunn put a toy car in his rectum and then went to the doctor to receive an X-ray. "Even though it hurt like hell, I said that if I committed myself to this insanity I may as well see it through," Dunn wrote on his Web site.

Dunn was born in June 1977 in Medina, Ohio, and moved to Philadelphia when he was 15 and met Margera on his first day of high school, according to The New York Times. His recklessness started in the '90s when Margera and he filmed "underground skateboard and stunt videos." In 1991, Johnny Knoxville, a friend of Margera's asked to use footage of what Margera and Dunn called "Camp Kill Yourself" to use in his MTV show, the Post-Gazette reported.

In an email to the Associated Press, Eric Dunn, Ryan's brother wrote a statement: "We appreciate the support of Ryan's fans during this time, and we are grateful for your thoughts and prayers," he said. "Ryan will be greatly missed, but he will forever remain in our hearts."

A Minneapolis man will not be charged after he shot a robber in a Cub Foods parking lot on Oct. 20, according to Hennepin County Attorney Mike Freeman.

The man, who will not be named for safety purposes, saw the robber, later identified as 23-year-old Darren Evanovich, "pistol-whip a woman and take her purse," according the the Star Tribune. The man drove up to Evanovich and asked for him to give the purse back.

When Evanovich told the man to "mind his own business" and pointed a gun at the witness, he shot Evanovich and killed him, according to the criminal complaint.

The witness, who had a permit to own the gun, said he acted in self-defense; however, Evanovich's mother seemed to think the outcome of the situation should have been different, according to the Star Tribune. "They're not going to press charges against the man who killed my son? Are you all serious?" she said.

KARE 11 reports that the Good Samaritan will have to prove that he wasn't the aggressor, that he felt threatened and that he had no other choice but to shoot. Although the witness has not been arrested, the case will be passed on to the Hennepin County Attorney's Office after the investigation is complete.

This page is an archive of recent entries in the My choice category.

Local news is the previous category.

National news is the next category.