« Advertising and people of color | Main | Coffman »

I'm from the city

The suburbs are full of old people and families who have lots of money and live in big houses. There is nothing to do except for maybe hanging out at the mall, going to the movies or a friends house. Everybody knows eachother and it's not even possible to cross the street without saying "Hi" to one of the people that lives around you.
Everybody cares a lot about what house they live in and what car they drive. It is always very peacful and looks perfect. But really it is not. It is not real and seems to keep people and in a little artificial bubble. Away from the "bad city".

For me it is really hard to write about american suburbs because I haven't had so much experience with them. I've lived in both, the city and "the suburbs" in Germany. But I have to say that I like the city better. Especially at my age. Mostly everything is in biking distance and there is lots to do.
I bet it is great for families with younger children, to have a house outside of the cities. Because they can just go out and play without the parents having to worry about big streets or scary neighbours that they don't really know.
But in my opinion you can raise kids just as good in the city. It just depends what you make out of it. As long as you take your children out every once in a while and have a good relationship to your neighbours. And I actually have to admit that my connection to my neighbours is better in the city than it was in the suburb.
But all together it is really something everybody has to decide for themselves but not without being aware of the totally different living situation and their consequences,

Artificial is a great word for it. The suburbs often have a synthetic quality, like a prefabricated environment for child-rearing.

A torque wrench is a tool used to precisely apply a specific torque to a fastener such as a nut or bolt.