Dog Days

Media Mill Video

This is what I learned: Adding a video clip to a UThink blog is easy!

I uploaded my video into MediaMill (http://mediamill.cla.umn.edu/), then I created a derivative--I chose "UThink, Small." The copy generated has an "Add to UThink" link that automatically places my video in the UThink blog that I choose. I could also access the html code from the "HTML Embed Example" link and drop it in that way.

One caveat--my video can only be accessed locally because the video itself is stored on MediaMill. If I want to upload this as a video podcast and create an RSS feed, then I need to upload the video to UThink instead of using the UThink link. I think I'll give it a try.... Lauren

First Blog

I tried to subscribe to newsfeeds from the Japanese Asahi newspaper, and for some reason I ended up getting news from BBC. Back to the drawing board... (I do not think I was successful in aggregating either.)

Sample Podcast

Download file

Get iTunes

Subscribing to Podcasts with iTunes

Get iTunes

1. Go to http://www.apple.com/itunes/overview/.
  2. Click the Download iTunes button near the top right. In the window that opens, you will need to fill in your email address; you may also want to uncheck the boxes near the top left if you don't want email from Apple and iTunes. Click the Download iTune Free button.
  3. Save the iTunesSetup.exe file to your desktop. This may take a few minutes depending on your connection speed.
  4. Find the iTunesSetup.exe file iTunes Setup icon. on your desktop and double-click it. The iTunes + Quicktime Installer window should open.
  5. Follow the steps to install iTunes. Again, this may take some time.
  6. In order to update your computer, it needs to be restarted. You should get a window asking if you want to restart now or later; choose whatever you prefer.
  7. After restarting, you should have the iTunes icon iTunes icon. on your desktop.
  8. You can put the iTunesSetup.exe file in the Trash.

Double-clicking the iTunes icon should take you to the iTunes store, where you can subscribe to the DMC FFP 2007 - 2008 podcasts as described in the previous posting!

Instructions on Podcasting in UThink

Instructions on Podcasting through UThink can be found on the UThink Wiki.

What is RSS?

Web 1.0 = Browsing

image001.gif

Web 2.0 = Aggregation

image002.gif

Flowers

Sunflower.

I love the way this sunflower seems to glow!

Continue reading "Flowers" »

Subscribing to a Podcast in iTunes

This posting was authored by Kurtis Scaletta and originally appeared in the blog for the DMC's Digital Teaching Workshop in summer 2007:

Blogs and podcasts make use of "RSS" (or "real simple syndication"). This allows people to have new entries delivered to them directly, just like newspapers are delivered to their doorstep. People can use desktop applications or web portals to collect (or "aggregate") their favorite blogs and podcasts. They can even have them delivered directly to their email.

iTunes can be used to subscribe to audio and video podcasts. You don't need iTunes, but it makes it easier, particularly if you are going to transfer the files to an iPod for enjoying offline. Here is how to subscribe to a podcast in iTunes.

You might want to print off these instructions before you begin!

1. Copy the "feed" to your clipboard.

a. The "feed" of this blog is http://blog.lib.umn.edu/dmc/dtw/index.xml

Select the text of the feed URL, and use your browser's Edit menu to copy the feed to your clipboard.

2. Subscribe to the "feed" in iTunes.

a. Open iTunes.
b. Go to the "Advanced" menu, and select "Subscribe to Podcast."
c. Use control-v (Windows) or apple-v (Mac) to paste the URL from step 1 into the window.
d. Click OK.

3. Listen to the podcast.

a. Click the "Podcasts" button in the left menu in iTunes.
b. Locate "Digital Teaching Workshop" in the Library window.
c. You may need to click the little triangle next to the title to open the list of available files to play.
d. Select any file and click the Play button to listen or watch it.
e. If a file is listed but is grayed out, click "Get" to retrieve the file before you play it.

4. Update the podcast.

When you return to iTunes in the future, new files will automatically be fetched. If they are not, you can follow these steps to refresh your play list.

c. Right-click (Windows) or Control-click (Mac) and select "Update Podcast" from the popup menu.

Subscribing to other podcasts

If you are following other podcasts in UThink, look for the RSS 2.0 link in the side bar. It usually appears on the right. Do not follow the link--just right-click (Windows) or control-click (Macintosh) and select the option to copy the link from the pop-up menu. You can then proceed with step 2 above.

Other podcasts will always have a similar link that you can copy and paste.

June 2013

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30