Election Article Reshuffle

As a journalist, I was anything but jumping for joy when the theme "politics" was to be included in my next story. After a few minutes of contemplation it finally occurred to me, "If I don't like politics there are bound to be other students with similar or opposing views on the topic." So off I went to find students interested in giving me their two cents worth.

Knowing ahead of time that not many students voted in the primaries I was thinking in the back of my mind "I bet I am going to find a lot of students who don't vote, or dislike politics." But at the same time I was hoping to find that one person who completely drowns themselves in politics that would be more than happy to talk my ear off.

Interestingly enough, the students I encountered seemed to prove to me otherwise. One student after another reassured me that they did in fact vote, but it was no more than a handful of students were willing to give me a reason why. That handful of students...became the story in itself.

Those students, whose view's were very straight forward and far from shy in their words, not only provided me with support to why they vote but as well as an insight into other dimensions of the subject.

One student said that many of the organizations on campus are a great tool to try and get more students encouraged to vote.

“When a grassroots organization like the Minnesota Public Interest Research Group [MPIRG] accomplishes something, after starting with almost nothing more than an idea, it can show a would-be-voter that great things are possible even at the lowest level of politics,? a UMD student said.

Another student decided to share a story of the past of why she hadn't voted and how that impacted her decision to vote today.

She said she was hesitant to vote in elections because she didn’t feel she was well informed on the candidates.

“I felt bad because I couldn’t participate in the election,? she said. “I hadn’t done enough research to know which candidate I would want running the city.?

It was very intriguing for myself to have the opportunity to speak with individuals who in a way, defy the assumption that students don't care about politics, as well as have the ability to share their thoughts with others through their own words.

Blog Search Review

Blog # 1: College News Blog
Website: http://collegenewspaper.blogspot.com/
Link: The Student Newspaper Survival Blog
Review: I thought this blog was particularly compelling based on our class being revolved around journalism and students. It basically provides examples of student newspapers and shows any news associated with them ( maybe an uproar of some sort) as well as an insight on commentary in conjunction with the student newspaper being discussed. I like how there are different categories along the side to jump to. One thing I am not a fan of especially in a web design aspect is the vivid pink color. The fonts and styles involved in the rest of the layout are very eye catching and original, and then you just have this pink. I appreciate the photos of the pages being discussed with each newspaper as well, especially the links to actually go to the site being shown.The writing is written in more of a commentary review style with a slight news element in there I think too. Very should I say..educational.

Blog #2: Military Blogging
Website:http://www.milblogging.com/listingDetail.php?id=2215
(This isn't the general website address, but rather an address to a specific blog within the site)
Link:Blog of a soldier on the frontlines
Review: This took a while to find, but when I did come across it I was quite stunned. I had no idea something of this sort of blog existed. Prior to finding the blog I found numerous newspaper articles discussing the militarys' strong pressure to abolish any type of military blogging. I have to admitt some of the blogs are very emotional and difficult to read. The one I linked this too was one of a soldier who seems to write very frequently and very detailed and in depth. It has a very personal aspect. On a personal level this type of blog was hard for me to force myself to read for certain reasons need not be discussed. One thing I found interesting was the "join the military" link on the top of the blog site. I had to think to myself there, "wow, certainly after reading this I highly doubt any sensible human being is going to click that link after reading of soldiers losing friends and those they loved." The writing is very much a diary type style -very personal and journalistic.

Online News Article

Poynter Institute