Welcome

Hi all! My family and friends are scattered all over the U.S., so I thought I'd start up a blog to keep everyone up-to-date on my oh-so-interesting life. No promises on frequency of posting, but at least I won't get "are you dead or alive?" left on my answering machine so frequently.

Another disclaimer: please don't be offended by content. You wanted to know what I was doing with my life? Well, you get the good, the bad, and the ugly, including (knowing me) the gory details of a cold, whining about annoying students, and the occasional swear word (for which I hope my parents will forgive me). Life's all about getting out of this place right now, and the hoops I have to jump through to do it aren't exactly appealing. But hey! I also do cool things, like traveling to Alaska, camping on the Buffalo River, committing civil disobedience, and growing monster tomatoes on the postage stamp we call a side yard. Hopefully, the interesting stories will outweight the bitching (oops! There I go with the swearing!).

Right now, I'm avoiding work on my dissertation. I'm supposed to be giving my writing partner some material for tomorrow, so I guess I'll have to get to work soon. To be honest, all I want to do is TEACH. This dissertation thing is really not my bag...but I gotta do it to get that elusive Ph.D. And it will be nice to make everyone call me "Dr. Williams" for a year or so.

Matt (my partner, as most of you know) just visited his family this weekend. Can I just say that I really lucked out here? Not only do they load us up with food every time we visit, but they do the most simple, thoughtful things. Marge (Matt's mom) noticed me looking at the magazine Real Simple when we were up north this summer, and she gave me all her back issues! They're also giving me her old bike, but not until--get this--they get a few things fixed on it. It blows my mind that they'd actually spend money to fix an old bike for ME. Here's my favorite: they offered to have my brother, his partner, and my sister to their house for Thanksgiving. They've never met my siblings, and offering to have the son's live-in girlfriend bring her gay brother and partner (not to mention the 18-year-old sister) along to meet their conservative brother-in-law (believe me, this guy is obnoxious) at Thanksgiving is so nice I can't believe it. Of course, we really shouldn't go; my sibs are looking forward to time at my house, and I don't think visiting total strangers is what they had in mind, much less the danger of starting a war with the annoying in-law. So I gotta think of a way to say no that still conveys my appreciation for their good hearts. I feel so spoiled to have them in my life. Oh yeah--Matt's pretty great, too. :-)

Okay, I suppose an hour on the diss wouldn't hurt. I'll write again on Friday.

Posted by at at 3:46 PM