And the other...

1 064.jpg

This is a picture of my cousin (in-law) Jackie and her little girl, Brailyn. The picture of my aunties, coupled with this picture of Jackie and Brailyn (along with the movie Love, Actually) were the inspiration for the opening paragraph of my project.

Continue reading "And the other..." »

The Start of it...

DSC00304.jpg

This is my auntie Sandy and auntie Judy, caught in a random moment. It is also, consequently the basis of the beginning of my final project.

Continue reading "The Start of it..." »

Final Project

I'm fairly disappointed that the Amazon piece fell through. I think that the project had potential to do some greater good than to "just be a homework assignment." That said, I really like my family back up plan.

Continue reading "Final Project" »

Technology vs. the Tangible

The more I think about how technology affects my world (the world at large as well), the more I become personally divided on the subject.

Continue reading "Technology vs. the Tangible" »

In class discussion

This blog is to be based upon a quote from our reading that we found provokative. In class, I (as well as one of the other girls) thought that the Foucault quote on page 169 was particularly noteworthy.

Continue reading "In class discussion" »

In Class Film

The film we viewed in class made an interesting impression on me, a larger one than I had though it would.

Continue reading "In Class Film" »

The Day the World Stopped

Nothing makes a person quite so acutely aware of the cultural pervasiveness of hetero-normativity than a break up does

Continue reading "The Day the World Stopped" »

Where Have All the Women Gone?

Last weekend (Saturday night), my boyfriend and I went to No Country For Old Men, this year's Best Picture Oscar winner and one of the better movies I've seen lately. There were two very interesting absences about this picture that I found extremely interesting.

Continue reading "Where Have All the Women Gone?" »

Rock of Love

So as I'm watching Rock of Love with Brett Michael's, I'm struck by how rediculous the whole reality t.v./dating show craze has gotten (particularly on V.h 1).

Continue reading "Rock of Love" »

screen-capture-1.jpg

This is a picture of the type of dog my family loves. He is a Flat Coated Retriever and a cutie.

That Crazy Britney

Our in-class discussion on the differences between white and black sexualities and Britney Spears really set me to thinking. One of my favorite Essayists, Chuck Klosterman, has a collection (Chuck Klosterman IV) that opens with an essay about his encounter with a pre-K-Fed, head shaving, psychotic break Britney Spears) Klosterman, in his usually snarky manner, says one thing about Spears that has always stuck with me, “She is everything to everyone.?

Continue reading "That Crazy Britney" »

Reframings Responce/Reflection

In the introduction to Reframings, Diane Neumaier states that she is attempting to put together a feminist work, a book of art (photography) that deals with the female experience. All fo the chapters in the piece depict issues that women must constantly deal with, sex and anxiety, meditations on baring, identity creation, etc. Overarching themes that connect these chapters include creating a sense of personal identity, the exercising of agency and the realization of self through art.

Continue reading "Reframings Responce/Reflection" »

Framing Points of View

I have taken a few film classes here and there; one thing these classes alway talk about or draw attention to is the framing of actors and actresses in films.

Continue reading "Framing Points of View" »

Fringe Art?

In one of my other classes, we discussed the function and social role of "fringe art"-art that is anti-establishment. I found the idea of fringe art interesting and very relevant particularly to this class.

Continue reading "Fringe Art?" »

First Blog Assignment

To start out this first blog, there are about fifty different places i could begin. I never quite understood the whole "blogger" idea. I understand that it is a modern diary or journal, that it could be thought of as therapeutic for the blogger and that it is a way to carve out one's own space in the virtual world, but the idea of strangers reading my thoughts always kind of creeped me out.

Continue reading "First Blog Assignment" »