Final Blog? Hopefully Not!

I really enjoyed this course! My favorite exercises were the Blog, Pictures, Wiki, Productivity Tools and Web Conferencing. When people talk about this stuff, I actually have an idea of what it is about! I’ve put pictures on Flickr to share with colleagues and they’ve used the pictures in news releases, reports, etc.

When I started the program I didn’t realize that I’d get to try out so many new (to me) technologies, so as an introductory program, I wouldn’t change anything. I would definitely participate in another offering of the nature, and would encourage others to try it, too.

Thanks for making this a great way to learn a little more about online tools. I can’t wait for the next course!

Web Coferencing the Way to Go!

I've been able to be on several web conferences, primarily for staff development, but also for some work groups. Just last week I was able to get a research update that was broadcast from Minneapolis. In the past, I wouldn't have taken time/resources to drive 9 hours for a 2-3 hour event. This way I was able to hear the presentation plus send questions down via chat for the panel discussion.

When I set up my test conference I really liked being able to change the boxes around. I'm hosting a site for a research update at the end of the month and this information will be very useful!

IMing

I know lots of people who IM--especially parents with their children. I've yet to get into it, though. I think I'm reaching the point of technology saturation. When I checked out the public Twitter's Public timeline I was instantly overwhelmed and overstimulated with all the messages. Just need more time for it all to sink in.

Social Networking

Social networking--I know "all the kids are doing it!" so I must learn, too. This one will take a while to get used to. I think it would be a great way to keep 4-H ambassadors/teen leaders connected. National 4-H is looking at something along this lines (Access 4-H, I think). We need to be in touch with how our clients are communicating, and this is certainly at the top of the list.

Productivity Tools

Wow--this was fun to explore these different options! I can see how Google Docs would be great for a team that's creating documents, presentations, etc. A lot of email attachments can be done away with.

I did a little Google Doc exploration last winter with a colleague. Unfortunately, the nature of our work changed and we only got one thing posted to work on. When I explored more today, I imported a file. One thing that appears to be different is to print preview, or be able to see where the page breaks. I'll have to explore more to see if I can figure that out.

On another note, I uploaded a bunch of State Fair pictures to Flickr to share with our 4-H team. Much better than burning CDs or attaching to an email.

Wonders of Wiki

I see lots of possibilities for Wikis! Different work teams can post, review and edit our work. As with adding anything new to our toolkit--it's getting into the habit of using it!

Podcasts 101

My first search for podcasts. I learned that a search for 4-H youth development can bring up some unwanted sites, so quickly moved on to something else. I searched quilting and found a couple of good podcasts. It will be interesting to think about how podcasts could be used in project training or leader training.

Pictures

I'm really looking forward to using this technology! I think this will be great for our Regional Team to post pictures that can be used in reports, promotion, etc. Much better than emailing them around and clogging up the email.

Blog Feeds--never heard of them!

There is certainly something new to learn every week, and this week it's feeds. It's a good thing Amy does such a good job explaining things. I'm looking forward to seeing how this can work.

First Entry

Here we are jumping into the world of blogs! It will be fun to see if this is a tool our Regional 4-H Team can use.