Bioart Final Reflection

I remember that at the beginning of this semester, I was confused about the definition of the word "bioart". It seems to me just a combine of biology and art: art about biology. I was confused about what kind of art can be bioart, and my question was, if it is really like that simple, what are we going to study for?

I found I learned something. Through the bioart pieces that everyone shares about, I found there are much more ways to create an art than expected before--far more than painting or handiwork, people use more scientific ways such like transgene to create new creature, that they called art. It mentioned me that, a lot of people think science and scientific method are boring, hard, and so academic, however, those people who don't like science, and people like me who love science because it is academic, both didn't realize that science can also be associated with beautiful art! Isn't it romantic :)

I also glad to have the chance to make art by myself. From the bioart project, to the final pieces. Everyone create their art in a different way. I'm in the food group. When the idea of food map came out, I used to doubt how can it be described in a biology way. What beyond me was that it came out so successful. This kind of persuaded me that, bioart really covered a broad field.

So... my definition about bioart now, is still as simple as "art about biology". To be more specifically, it should show a creative thought, a central idea about any aspect of the biological world that the author have, but no matter what way he use to express it. A successful bioart should be persuasive to make people thinking, and as we call it "art", it should have pleasant appearance.

BioArt Final Thoughts (Lauren Mackmiller)

Prior to begining this class and just hearing the word "BioArt" I thought it just had to deal with either drawing/painting/photographing biology or using plants/organic materials as a medium to make a piece.

Now I am more confused than ever because some people claim that genetic manipulation is art. I suppose the meaning behind it "makes" it art to them. I think that the definition of art can be in the eye of the beholder. I personally don't think the GFP bunny was art because in a science article, some scientists made a white puppy glow red when a certain light shined on it. I think that it is more scientific than art.

So overall, I think BioArt is using organic materials to create art still, and the genetic manupulation stuff, I think that some people can consider it art. But I personally don't think it is.

BioArt Final Thoughts

At the beginning of the semester I only thought of Bio-Art as a way to present living organisms in an art form. Either by munipulating and tweeking little things that will make someone think about what they think is going on. However this class has changed some of that idea. To me bioart is kind of like a science project. It presents current or new ideas and innovation for the public who may not be aware of it. Bio-art is not only limited to living things anymore. It may not even have any biology aspect until u think about the art-piece and it's message. For example, the world map made of chips and icing, made during the Bioart exhibition. At first it didnt look anything to do with bioart but if you think about it, you can connect food with people and how similar everbody around the world is. Just like the definition of art, i think that the definition of Bio-art is very fluid and is all up to the artist and viewers to interpret its meaning.

Final Reflection (John Romens)

Signing up for this seminar, I had virtually no grasp of what the realm of bioart included. I thought it consisted of genetically altering organisms in order to create natural forms with increased aesthetic properties. As a result of this class, I now feel that this unique type of art can include almost anything. My current definition of bioart is a piece of artwork that either relates to or incorporates a natural aspect into it. I also see science playing a smaller part in the concept now, which is probably the biggest change of opinion for me.

I was very impressed by the atmosphere generated at the exhibition. It seemed to convey everything that we had discussed previously; it was comfortable, mysterious, and very intriguing. When I walked through I thought that each of the projects contributed nicely to the complete sensory experience. The aromas from olfactory piece were the first thing to hit me when I walked into the exhibition, which I thought was a very cool aspect because you don't often encounter scents in an art show. If I were a visitor I would find the whole exhibition to be relaxing and interesting. The combination of smells, dim lighting, and sounds create a very comfortable environment, separating this show from others. 

Bioart Final Assignment (Will Gobeli)

To me, bioart is a use of biology as an art form.  I believe that an element of living must be incorporated in some way into the final product.  Art can feature biology without actually being bioart.  An example would be nature photography.  This shows elements of biology, but isn't bioart.

I am happy with how the final exhibition turned out.  It came together after one.  The setup looked awesome.  I was very happy with my piece.  The effects of the disintegrating clay were better than I could have imagined.  I'm a little disappointed that the mold project didn't have success.  Overall, I think the whole class really pulled together to produce a great final product.  

bioart final assignment

To me BioArt had a very fluid definition at the start and continues to have one. I take BioArt as any form of art that has anything to do with biology. This could involving things that are living such as bacteria or just representations of things that are living such as nature photography or sculptural interpretations of nature. This leaves a very broad spectrum of art that could be considered BioArt but i think that part of it is also the artists intent. If the artist's point was to bring out the biological aspect of the art then that should show through and make it a more valid candidate for BioArt, however, the art could have an emphasis on something esle btu just happens to have biology involved. In this case i wuold still say that it was BioArt, btu there might be a better category to put it under or a better way to explain it if that wasnt what the artist intended. 

BioArt Definition (Brianna Mattson)

1)To me, BioArt is the fusion of Biology and Art. To be more specific I would say that anything that uses art to show Biology or Biology to show Art can be considered "BioArt." To someone who is new to this concept I would tell them that seeing biology or representing it through art would be considered BioArt, and the other way around, if you were to see art in Biology, for example  bioluminescent bacteria, that too would fit the category of BioArt. My definition of BioArt surprisingly stayed about the same throughout the semester. At the beginning of the semester I believe I said it was seeing art through biology or seeing biology through art.

2) The BioArt exhibition was a great way for us to show what we really though BioArt was. I very much enjoyed brainstorming many different and some crazy ideas. Although some were not realistic it was still interesting to think about them and the fact that someone out there may in fact attempt it at some point. Myself and Feifei were partners in creating the "scent/color" association within the sensory group. We draped fabric (we used shirts from Michaels and cut them up/sewed them) over circular metal rings and left a small opening in the fabric. We made 8 such contraptions and hung them at "face height" in 2 rows, 4 in each row, lined up next to each other. We then proceeded to put particular scents that would usually be associated with their certain colors onto the fabric of one row of the hanging fabrics. We then mixed up the scents on the other row of the same colors. The intention of this piece was to get people thinking what we perceive to be "norms" and what our minds lead us to believe. From the piece I would hope that people get the idea that our bodies are complex pieces of art themselves and we should be aware that what we perceive to be "normal" isn't always the case. We must examine things not only with our obvious senses but with our minds as well. 

I very much liked every other project I saw at the exhibition done by the other groups and those within my group. I loved the way the bioluminescent group presented their art, it was beautiful  and playful, great! I also loved the food group's edible world, one can think so many things from that one piece of art, that was one of my favorites. Overall, I think that the BioArt exhibition was as huge success in terms of the class portraying what BioArt is. However I would have liked to see more people at the show.

BioArt Definition - Amanda Yeager

BioArt to me I think is artwork involving anything living or that was once living. At the start of the semester I thought of BioArt as being just a form of art having to do with nature and things like that but through the course of the class I came to realize BioArt can include much, much more than what I had originally thought. The different forms of what you could call BioArt that we looked up and blogged about really helped me to see that things can be interpreted differently depending on how you looked at it and it made me see how people can think about something so much differently but still have everything tie in together and make sense in that way. So this class did change my perspective on Bioart to a significant degree and really made it so much broader than I thought it actually was. Bioart can really be anything you want it to be depending on your own personal view of it.

BioArt Definition (Charlene Bogonko)

At the beginning of the semester, I had no real idea of what BioArt was. I actually thought that the class was going to be centered around biology and that i had chosen the wrong seminar. However, as the semester progressed and we had in class discussions about what BioArt has been defined as and what we as a class thought it was, my idea of BioArt began to change. I began to think of BioArt as a mixture of art and biology, rather than just biology, but this was based only on the other BioArtists i had researched for our blog posts--their art had sure fire biological components. When we finally did our bioportraits is when i realized fully what BioArt meant to me. Its a personal expression of a fusion of the art world and the biological world. It is taking the concrete facts and knowledge of biology and artistically pieceing them together with those who express the art--humans. Its our way of tying the world around us into one whole which fully represents each and every one of us in ways we never would have seen before. Furthermore BioArt is innovative and forward form of art centered around biology that has shown to be able to present humanity with new solutions to problems and new ideas about who we are and what we can do. BioArt is the world around me and in me. BioArt is. 

BioArt Definition Reprise - Jess Kessler

At the beginning of this course, the definition of BioArt was fuzzy. Generally I thought it had something to do with nature and living organisms or something that had once lived. After our exploration of the subject, I have discovered that there are many forms of BioArt. It can be experiments and other laboratory work. I do not believe that there is an exact definition. Since it is a relitively new concept, more and more artists and biologists are playing around with the idea. The artist brings the idea to the table and the scientist proves it and allows the physical to be shown. It has been a great semester. Have a good break!!

~jess