Recently in 9/30 Category

John Romens 9/30

The Farm Fountain is a result of the collaboration between Amy Young and Ken Rinaldo. It utilizes a symbiotic relationship between plants, fish, and humans. The "farm" consists of a huge suspended tower of plants, with a large aquarium that forms the base of the structure. It uses the  idea of aquaponics to sustain both the fish and the plants. Using a normal pond pump, the fountain directs the nutrients found in fish waste through the roots of the plants, which in turn filters the water, creating a sustainable environment for the fish. besides being an aesthetically pleasing structure, edible plants can also be grown for human consumption. I thought that this was very interesting, and the process for creating your own is posted on the site as well. the materials aren't extremely expensive which makes this idea possible for anyone to do.

here's the link for the how-to.

'Self' (Charlene Bogonko)

My search this past week led me to a man who has a most unique way of recording his aging process. While most people tend to rely on pictures and maybe even videos for such a purpose, Marc Quinn had quite a different method of choice. His bio-portrait is a part of him, literally. Quinn's "Self" portrait is a sculpture of his face, which he embarks on making every five years to track his aging process, that is comprised solely of his blood in a frozen state. It takes him anywhere from eight to ten months to harvest enough blood to create his art piece. 
How in the world it occurred to Quinn to utilize his blood, i will never really understand, however it is extremely unique. It seems smart that he used his blood, seeing that he doesn't need any ethics committee to permit him to use it. The sculpture itself is pretty awesome to look at, and for me evokes add feelings. One feeling is that of nails across a chalkboard, and the other of amazement. 

Stomach Sculpture-Sammy Dunne

Stelarc, an Australian performance artist participated in a "site-specific" theme for one of this pieces. The particular piece Stomach Sculpture was done using his own body as the site. He wanted technology to become a part of his body, and function with the body as opposed to . prosthetically. For this project, he inserted a 40 centimeter sculpture into his stomach cavity, not for any other purpose than aesthetic adornment. 

http://www.we-make-money-not-art.com/archives/bioart/index.php?page=8
http://www.stelarc.va.com.au/stomach/stomach.html

A Blast to the Past?? Jess Kessler

Although some people might not view an aquarium as art, I do. Thinking about it, my mind went back to the past (kinda like in Back to the Future, Christopher Lloyd style) and discovered one of my childhood favorites, Sea Monkeys! "Sea Monkeys" are actually a species of brine shrimp. The eggs that they hatch from have crystals in them, which allow the tiny shrimp to stay alive while dry for up to two years. The scientists who studied these shrimp created new chemicals and food in order to keep them alive in a common household. Pretty cool if you ask me.
city_sea_Monkeys2.jpg

Lauren Mackmiller

These are some statues on a Chilean island Easter Island. I chose this because I found a previous sight that thought some Scottish stonework was considered bioart and it reminded me of these statues. I don't know if it would be considered bioart but it uses materials from the land and was kept within its natural surroundings and was transported in from a different location. I like how the have been around for so long and seems like they are a part of the island, almost part of its personality.

EasterIsland.jpg

Hylozoic Soil

Can you imagine yourself entering a space with artificial life? Hylozoic Soil is the work by artist Philip Beesley. It is the combination of organism, sculpture, and  architecture. I was drawn into the beautiful movement by the muscle wires in responding to the presence of visitors. "Its frond extremities arch uncannily towards those who venture into its midst, reaching out to stroke and be stroked like the feather or fur or hair of some mysterious animal." You walk in this artificial jungle, experiencing a mysterious but exotic feeling. How does our world connect to technology and what is the relationship between myself as an organism and the artificial life- other kind of organism? I wish I could be at the 2007 exhibition and have the live experience of this hybrid project. It also reminds me of the automatic door which is already common in our lives. (sensers, detectors) Then this would be a Bioart too! We invented something that's corresponding priorly to our motion.   
hylozoic-soil.jpg

As Philip tries to get people think about "the boundaries between nature and artifice and examine their own organic condition as they interact with technology." It also made me think about what architecture will be like in the future? Green house? Solar house? More engagement of natural recourse? Organism House?

my bioportrait

single bamboo in redwood forestFinal.jpg

Matthew Paul Schroeder: Vertical Gardens

Many people pride themselves on the beautiful ivy that grows on the walls of their house. But is that good for your house? In most cases the answer is no. The ivy that grows on the walls is typically detrimental for the structural integrity of your house. That's why Patrick Blanc has come up with something called a Virtical Garden. His systems are widely popular in france and not only look breathtaking but also work with your walls. This eliminates the problem of ivy ruining the structural integrity of your home. I've found this a very interesting and innovative project. vertical gardens

Orlan - Will Gobeli

This week, I looked at an artist called Orlan.  She has a variety of different art works, some relating to biology and others not so much.  Orlan had a series of 9 major facial reconstructive surgeries to change aspects of her face to match famous works of art such as the Mona Lisa and Boticelli's Venus.  Her most recent work is called Self-Hybridation, in which she adds and manipulates her face to fit the 'ideal beauty' standard of various cultures.

Her website is www.orlan.net

See these Sea Slug Dresses!

http://kisi.deu.edu.tr/lcavas/ebruereris.html

This project struck me as funny. It's a side of BioArt that isn't uber scientific (or pretending to be.) All it is is a bunch of dresses designed after sea-slugs. It might sound kind of lame, or over the top, or kitschy, but I think it is kind of refreshing. I can see where the man is coming from. He's this marine biologist obsessed with sea-slugs and has a picky wife who didn't like the dresses that were super simple. She found sea-slugs beautiful too, so he designed a bunch of dresses for her. Some of them aren't too bad either. If you are brave enough to wear them, that is.

This page is an archive of recent entries in the 9/30 category.

9/23 is the previous category.

November 4 is the next category.