Recently in October 14 Category

Emily Berlin- BLANKET

blanket.jpg
Erin Hernsberger's work "BLANKET" seems to (surprisingly) be my favorite from the Nash Art Gallery. Walking around a gallery like this one it's easy to just get lost in a sort of stupor and mindlessly wander. Occasionally a piece really catches your eye. Less often than that it causes conversation. BLANKET brought about a (suprisingly, again) long conversation and much thought. Another favorite was Anthony Marchetti's piece "5-325 BR." 
anthony marchetti.jpg
This piece evoked thought on my childhood- how the house looked when it was very nearly empty, before it was completely clean, all the earrings and marbles and spoons you found hiding in little places. Also, my brother totally had that dresser. The one in the middle.

Gallery Visit

The photo that grabbed my attention was from Minna Rainio's photographic series titled SOMEWHERE ELSE.  It was a collection of close ups of post cards.  It was difficult to make out the pictures except from a distance.  One gave me goosebumps.  It had a caption, which I assume is the title, that said 'The next day she crossed the border'.  It was the only picture on the wall.  The picture itself was a blurry horizon line, but the way it was presented made it feel infinite, almost as if once she crossed the border in the picture, she had a completely blank and limitless future.

Shada Ahrar- Art Exhibition

Walking through the exhibition was an interesting experience. As I walked through the exhibition I noticed that the walls of the exhibition were all white. This made the artwork stand out. I really enjoyed walking through the exhibition and seeing the different pieces of artwork. I thought that is was neat how a series of artwork from the same artist was presented on one wall or on one section of the wall. The first pieces of artwork I saw were the "Mirror and Window" series. There were five of these pictures. It seemed that the artist was trying to catch what people do when they walk past a window; do they look through it, do they look at their reflection, or do they just walk right past it? I also thought that the artwork with the animal cut outs of different everyday objects was fascinating. I especially liked the piece where there were penguin cut outs on different boxes, and how we could see what were in the boxes from the penguin cut outs.

The one piece that caught my eye was "Emily in the Sanctuary." This piece grabbed my attention because of the beautiful stain glassed window. However, when I got closer to the piece I no longer noticed the stain glassed window I noticed how mess the room in the piece was. There were two pieces to "Emily in the Sanctuary." One piece, the first piece that I looked at, contained a beautiful stain glassed window in a messed room. The second piece contained another beautiful stain glassed window in a clean and organized room. I thought this piece was interesting because the stain glass window caught my eye from far away, but when I got closer different aspects of the photo caught my eye.

Gallery Experience-10/21 Max Stahel

Visiting the gallery was fun and exciting.  I am very happy with how the art was laid out and how it fit in with its surroundings.  The gallery was mostly gray which is a great neutral color to display work on.  The gallery was also laid out in a maze form.  This gave the spectator a chance to observe all art and even force it at times.  I looked at all pieces of art and had a favorite and a least favorite piece.  My least favorite work was the multi-framed pictures of the naked woman because it was very disturbing.  My favorite art work in the gallery was "Despite Hurdles, We're Fine".  This portrait intrigued me in a couple of ways.  This work could actually be considered bio-art because it incorporates a living plant into a scene in which it is taking over a city.  The eucalyptus plants were based on a very large scale compared to the city.  The work contained colors such as maroon, green and gray which I think go very well together.  The city scene appealed to me as I grew up in a big city (Minneapolis).  I would hang this piece of art in my room any day.  The gallery was a good experience for me because I have not been to too many of them in my life.  I am learning more and more that it is not just all about the art itself but also the ways in which it os presented.  

153rd PA Infantry, James Henkel (Charlene Bogonko)

Being in the Nash gallery was an interesting experience. I enjoy being able to walk around viewing different art pieces with the freedom to explore and create my own meanings, it makes the art more alive and more relevant. 
The piece which spoke to me the most at the Nash Gallery was the 153rd PA Infantry photograph don my James Henkel. He printed it with a pigment ink print and it created some pretty cool effects. The bottom of the picture was blurred a bit, and couldn't quite be seen clearly due to the pigmentation. Towards the top of the statue however, everything seemed to be clearing up, until I could see, without obstruction, the man at teh top of the monument, with a trumpet in his hand. 
I saw a struggle which might have started with strong support and strong opposition, and at first it wasn't as clear as to who was going to come out on top. However, as time went on, slowly, a winner began to emerge, and as the winner emerged, the end was visible. At the end, one person remained, blowing a trumpet of victory.

"Disembodied Cuisine" (Charlene Bogonko)

In this project, the Tissue Art and Culture project attempted to build frog skeletal muscles over biopolymers that will potentially be edible, as a steak. This more current project was based on a previous endeavor with pre-natal sheep cells. They were able to grow a steak from a sheep in utero, while the sheep itself was healing.  In essence they are attempting to create "victimless" meat that can be consumed. 
Beneficially, this project can be the solution for many-a-vegeterian who would not otherwise eat meat for the sometimes harsh and inhumane conditions some animals are grown in for consumption, and decrease the number of animals that have to endure such.
Ethically, this project has the potential to be problematic with its use of the "Semi-living" as the experimental point, as it may introduce the exploitation of the "Semi-living". 
Artistically, it reaches once again into the connection between man and science, and how natural things such as the meat we eat everyday, can be linked to biological sciences and produce a beautiful and useful piece of art. 

John Audubon

John James Audubon is a well known wildlife painter.  He is known for his paintings of birds.  Birds of America is a collection of 425 life-sized prints of his paintings.  His work turned nature into fine art that was then used for documentation of bird species. But after some more thought, I may have changed my mind as to whether or not this is Bio Art.  It is undeniably fine art featuring a biological subject, but I don't think that qualifies.  So, art featuring biology is not Bio Art?

audubon_gallery_22.jpg

Emily Berlin- Centuries old Bio-Art

drummond-castle-gardens-scotland-01b.JPG
BioArt has been with us since the very dawn of civilization. Just take a look at all the classic old gardens. The picture above is a 17th Century Scottish Renaissance Garden at Drummond Castle that has been carefully preserved.
italian-gardens.jpgThis picture is from an Italian Garden (known for their perfection.)
Sissinghurst garden.gifThis is part of the garden at Sissinghurst Castle, which was actually created in the 1930s but based off of classic English gardens.
restored roman garden.JPGSome of the oldest gardens are Roman gardens, this one has been restored, obviously, but this just goes to show you that even way back then people found beauty and art in the biological world. They have even uncovered marvelous gardens in Pompeii. These Roman gardens are essentially the basis for all other gardens.

Stelarc's Images!! (posted by Xiaohan Wang)

t.jpg

I found a fantastic person to talk about today, but I'm not sure anybody here had talk about him before... hope not.This guy is called Stelarc, who is an Australia performance artist with mutifarious creative thought. Firstly I got to know about him from his piece called "Ear on arm". (link on his website: http://www.stelarc.va.com.au/earonarm/index.html ) The sparkle of this picture is described as "his implanted, wifi enabled "third" ear" (in another website), of which I think it shows an awesome combination of human and technology.

http://www.stelarc.va.com.au/ Here is his official website. Every time you open his personal website, it will show you a different picture of his creation. Here are a couple of one copied from his website, and lots of them like a cool rhapsody of human and technology, living body and feelingless machine, and conjecture and truth of the future.

t5.jpg

t1.jpg

I think I'm going to find more about him to talk next week.

|||@_@:  I was just wondering: was he the same person who put a tiny machine in his stomach?

Green Cars (Matthew Paul Schroeder)

This new form of artwork takes the concept of the "green" automobile very literally. As you can see from the pictures in the link these cars are covered with real live grass. Not only does covering your car in grass make your wheels look extra fly it also provides shade and a natural cooling system for the car. This natural cooling saves energy that would normally be used for air conditioning. It could also be said that this car "balances out" the emissions that the car gives off but that's most likely not true unless you covered a hybrid car in grass.grass_cars_11.jpg
http://www.transbuddha.com/mediaHolder.php?id=1726
http://damncoolpics.blogspot.com/2008/05/grass-covered-cars.html

This page is an archive of recent entries in the October 14 category.

November 4 is the previous category.