« NAGAS - Kalyn Williams | Main | NAGAS- Cassi Smiley »

NAGAS - David Wollschlager

I enjoyed viewing Andy Bloxham's Beta 15. It is a snapshot taken at the moment of impact when a water balloon is dropped on a guy's head. It reminds me of watching clips from a high speed video camera of a balloon popping, or a bullet going through a can of whipped cream. It only lasts a split second, but you can experience the event in a relaxed fashion while it progresses at such a slow pace. If I got to ask the artist questions about his artwork, i would want to ask him whether he was the person getting the balloon dropped on his head, or if he was operating the camera. Also, how many tries did it take to get the shot just the way he wanted it. And lastly, from which store did he steal that shopping cart.
-David

1. If I got to ask the artist questions about his artwork, i would want to ask him whether he was the person getting the balloon dropped on his head, or if he was operating the camera.

I was the person with the balloon dropped on my head. I had an assistant (also known as a friend who can help you out on a whim) running my camera. I'd scream "Now!" as the balloon fell and she'd fire my shutter.

2. Also, how many tries did it take to get the shot just the way he wanted it.

I had 9 water balloons. So, I basically had 9 takes to work with. Some of them bounced off my head. A couple exploded. Only two exploded correctly. This was the only one that looked interesting, I felt.

3. And lastly, from which store did he steal that shopping cart.

Interesting enough, that cart used to reside in the hallway of the art studios I manage. I returned it after the shoot, but now, many months later, it's missing. Who knows.