« NAGAS - David Wollschlager | Main | NAGAS - Edward Heyl »

NAGAS- Cassi Smiley

I was drawn to the piece by Andy Bloxham BETA 15, 2008- pigment paint. What compelled me to this photograph was the ability to freeze a moment in time so precisely. The painting showed the reaction of the man getting hit by an explosion of a water balloon. The burst of the balloon with the water spraying out in a circle created a unique pattern that was very aesthetically compelling which you wouldn't expect from the creation of a bursting water balloon. It was such a simple concept but very beautify. It was a surprise beauty of what every aspect of life has to offer, as long as you look at it. This photo tells a short but sweet story by capturing the initial reaction that is missed when a water balloon fight is in play. The colors of the photo were bright and bold but not overpowering to the photo but rather a great compliment to the main focal point of the photo, the water explosion. The aftermath of the bursting balloon was captured so crisp and detailed that it pops out from the rest of the photo, illustrating the precise moment that was captured.

1. What was your inspiration behind this idea for a photograph? What made you want to share this precise moment with the world?

2. What was your favorite part of creating this photo?

3. Was it difficult to get the desired results? How many shots did you have to get before you were satisfied with your masterpiece?

I had a dream involving a nail strapped to my head and intercepting water balloons falling from a three story building. My goal was to interpret this into an image. I only wanted to share that idea with the world once I was satisfied that I had an image that was interesting formally, held some aspect of entertainment, and could be something I would be drawn to if it weren't mine and I saw it in a gallery. I'm sitting on a stack of images that I consider failures because they can't meet all of those criteria.

Freezing my ass off in February to make the shot. Except for the frigid weather. I like the various stages for different reasons. Writing it out. Storyboarding. I don't really enjoy the actual setting up, but the performance aspect once everything is aligned is a lot of fun for me.

I had 9 water balloons, so I really just had 9 chances to make it work. The hardest part was timing the impact with my assistant pushing my shutter button. I'm watching the water balloon fall towards me, and screaming "now!" right before it hits. Fun stuff. While initially editing this image, there was a character in the middle of the image holding a slingshot aimed at my head. I didn't like how it filled the frame and told too much, so I took it out and was left with the current version, which I much prefer.