« NAGAS - Amanda Rasmussen | Main | NAGAS: Blowhole I: an etching Comments by Anita Wallace »

NAGAS Samantha Hiller

Beta 15 by Andy Bloxham. I always enjoy art that successfully combines technique and humor. I find it interesting that there was probably no deep hidden meaning behind the photo, rather just a random idea he had one day. People often make art way too serious.

1. How did you come up with the idea for this photo?
2. How many attempts to get this shot?
3. Was there extensive editing?

I also liked this piece and the one next to it of the guy being pelted by a water balloon. It didn't appear to have a great deal of editing done. I really liked the background of the shot too. Good choice!

The original story snippet involved intercepting water balloons with a nail strapped to my head as they were tossed off a three story building. It was a weird dream, but that was my source material. I edited the idea down in storyboards to the essential elements, then went out and had some fun for the photo.

2. How many attempts to get this shot?

I had about 9 water balloons. That image was take 5 or 6, I think. Also, this was shot in February, in 40'ish degree weather.

3. Was there extensive editing?

Not really. The "Photoshop'ing" is blending the static shopping cart image with the explosion image. I had to get the shopping cart of balloons quickly because the wind was blowing a lot. Once that was done, I could just focus on the left part of the image.

Now by editing, do you mean making decisions on color and contrast? Because yes, I do work those settings in post-production.