« Charles Woodman - Anita Wallace | Main | Summary of Projects Posted - Anita Wallace »

Decasia (Bill Morrison) by Anita Wallace

Decasia is a 2002 found footage film by Bill Morrison, featuring an original score by Michael Gordon. The film is a meditation on old, decaying silent films and is similar in spirit to Lyrical Nitrate by Peter Delpeut, a Dutch filmmaker. It begins and ends with scenes of a dervish and is book-ended with old footage showing how film is processed. Some of the deterioration was enhanced with computers to create more meaningful abstract imagery in the manner of Stan Brakhage. Nothing was done to the actual film prints, most of which were borrowed from facilities such as the Museum of Modern Art, to accelerate their decomposition. The film's musical soundtrack features several detuned pianos and an orchestra playing out of phase with itself, adding to the fractured and decomposing nature of the film.
(from Wikipedia)

To view film go to: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08gr2EYTc1Q

I am fascinated with the effects of the decomposing film from an aesthetic viewpoint. However, from the preservation and conservation perspective it is a bit alarming that they would borrow films from facilities such as the Museum of Modern Art to "accelerate their decomposition".

Good write-up, I am regular visitor of oneˇ¦s website, maintain up the excellent operate, and It's going to be a regular visitor for a long time.

Wow! This could be one particular of the most useful blogs We've ever arrive across on this subject. Actually Great. I am also an expert in this topic so I can understand your effort.