Experimental and Media Arts

Comment on one of the art works within the Experimental and Media Arts exhibition in the Nash Gallery.

Describe what attracted you to this particular work.

Nash Gallery Insights

Meng Tang
Quian Kun, 2009
Mixed Media

The piece I was most interested in was Meng Tang’s; Quian Kun ‘s captivated my attention. From a material perspective what appealed to me was: the use of rice paper and how Photoshop was utilized to create multi-dimensional images.

I’d be interested in speaking with the artist about s/he acquired the materials for the piece. And how they decided which imagines to use and how they layered them on top of each other.

Also, the other element that interested me was the thought process behind the piece: about seeing life beyond the five senses: the use of Chinese Astrology, mathematics, science etc. How all these elements combined created the out come of the piece.

Nash Gallery exhibition - Experimental and Media Art

S.E.T.T.I.N.G.
2009 Katinka Galanos

Katinka’s conceptually inverted use of the technology, and subject matter, drew me into her world where a landscape is projected (actually miniaturized) onto an intimate 3” x5” screen. The petite illuminated landscape is perceived as precious and refined. The motorized “cha-chunk” of the projector introduces each slide and creates an auditory drama. The landscapes seem to be from vintage postcards or movie stills of 1940 Tarzan movie sets-pseudo/ stylized jungle.

Some of the slides appeared to have technical difficulties but were actually cropped in quadrants making the images appear to be falling out of the slide holder. Whereas some technologies are designed for obsolescence, Katinka’s slides are designed with an aesthetic malfunction.

I found myself feeling impatient while waiting for the shuffle of slides to make their way around the carousel and I wanted to advance the projector myself. The technology of the projector slowed me down. This slow-down is in complete contrast to technology typically being used to make things in our life go faster.

Nash Exhibit - March 25th

Presence (2009)
by Yuichiro Tanabe

I was attracted this the piece initially because of the unique curvature of the lines, flowers, and small birds a part of it. I originally thought it was just a flat piece, and soon I realized how interactive it was. That is what made the piece my favorite of the gallery. Being able to adjust and change the level and intensity of the drawings and activity, entertained me as we participated in the piece. The red color also intensified the piece as red brings about many feelings, both of love and anger. My only problem with the piece was that it was limited to the top left corner of the laptop and we assumed that it had potential overtake the entire screen. It probably would have been overwhelming but still very entertaining.

Overall, I was very drawn to the piece in terms of its interactivity and composition. It might have been just its simplicity of entertainment after a long day, but watching and playing with this piece made me enjoy it more.

~Amanda Rasmussen

Nash MFA Exhibition Reflection - Amanda Rasmussen

Sonja Peterson
The Underground Plot of the Royal Pomme Frites (2009)

~ Describe what attracts you to this artist's work. The initial attraction to Sonja’s piece was that she used paper as the medium rather than the holdings of the medium. I was next intrigued about the representation and depth of the image. It was a double-layered piece and this emphasized the piece as well as showed depth. But the last thing I had to deduce from my experience of this piece was – what it was. I did not see the whole piece at once, so I read the name and took a step back to truly see the piece and recognized it. Overall, I thought this piece truly was an “Underground Plot” of royal potatoes.

~ How would you describe the aesthetic language of this artist if you were talking with a friend who has not experienced the exhibition? This piece is an intricate portrayal of what I assume a potato field beyond the royal grounds. It was constructed primarily from a paper and a razor blade. The piece was layered to show dimension and depth, with the base layer being a baby blue and the image depicted on the white paper. The components of the piece included people of royalty near the grounds, people laboring in the fields, other symbols representing royal family, and the potatoes and its rooting system intertwined everything together,

~ If you could ask the artist three questions, what would you ask?
1. What is your inspiration behind using light blue as the base color? After reading the word ‘royal,’ I would have expected a deep blue or purple but then also thought that this color may have been too intense.
2. What is the single key message you want viewers to take away from your piece?
3. Where is your art career and talent taking you next?

~Amanda Rasmussen

Sonic Chandelier

I was attracted to this work first by its appearance. I like the arrangement of the bamboo rods, and the weaving, nest like appearance it had. The feathers may have contributed to that sensation. The plastic zips that seem to be holding the work together, also provided a bright contrast to the natural elements the chandelier was made out of, and also signified that there was more to the sculpture than just the appearance. Those type of zips are often used to hold cords or electrical wire into organized bunches, and that alternate use indicates there may be something electric about the work. Discovering that it was a piece to be touched, or if not, that relied on movement to create its sonic effect was fun. The chandelier asks to be touched because of its low height, and long branches reaching into the path below. Once this discovery has been made the piece becomes something new, and the interaction that an individual or group can have with the piece is very nice. I liked this work over all because of the bridge it has between traditional and media arts. For me that is very interesting, and it has helped me develop a sense of media arts in their own right. However, the connection to more traditional art is something I really like. It is similar in kind to the idea of virtual and real worlds interweaving, and the Sonic Chandelier really held that idea strongly.