3 guest artists/speakers

I found myself remembering what was said by Janaki Ranpuri, Michael Sommers, and Jack Becker the most, because they were all very inspiring.

Janaki Ranpuri--Her interaction-based lecture was compelling, and I enjoyed her enthusiasm with her own work. The tea cup and mini theater animations were fun to do and really got me thinking of how objects can be brought to life with simple movements. I also liked how she mixed technology with social interactions from the public, in reference to her most current project with the egg/sperm bicycle thing.

Michael Sommers--It was fun to get up and move around during his discussion with us, which helped us relate our movements to the objects we manipulated afterwards. Although it was hard to get into the newspaper exercise, I understood and appreciated the concept. The random objects that he brought turned out to be interesting when we had them perform for a little bit. I took a lot of his instructions for the class into my own work. I'm in one of his classes and his discussion with us helped me figure out some things with my sand painting. Giving random objects life can be a hard task, but usually having fun with them is the best way to go about it. Sommers kept saying to "let the objects speak for themselves" which has always remained true. Usually objects keep a certain persona if they are being used in an interesting or 'correct' way, if its too forced it will not be received well by the audience.

Jack Becker--His discussion helped me think of the future, specifically for when I graduate. His discussion was motivating, because I have never thought of artists as free agents before, that could apply for grants to make the art that they want to make. Our society is so money based that commissioned work seems like the only thing that is made anymore, which doesn't sound fun for the artists. Making art strictly for the artist is more or less a way of "self-indulging," which is a rare thing to do in the workforce nowadays. Having fun and working are rarely correlated in today's economy, but Becker's lecture made it seem possible for the artist. Of course a lot of people are competing for the grants, but the option is out there through his company.

The information that all three of these speakers gave us was helpful, and the variety of their experiences and artwork was equally entertaining to see, interact with, and motivating to hear.

~Krista