Bluff Installations (in magenta)

The bluff edge in my neighborhood is overgrown, forgotten, and littered. I planned three interventions that would generate a moment of attention for this neglected community asset. The first, installed a week ago, was at a guardrail above a steep drop:

View image
View image

Though I don't have photos of the original configuration, which was four vertical panels obscuring the view, the work quickly fell apart due to vandalism and the elements. I find its deterioration symbolic of the bluff edge itself, which was once quite intentional but has become tattered over time. The second, installed Wednesday morning, was along a secluded stair:

View image
View image

As neighbors take the stairs to and from the bus stop and commercial area, they pass under a canopy of fluttering plastic. Even a day later, the influence of the wind, rain, and passers-by is evident. The third piece was installed at the top of the stair, near a view of downtown Saint Paul:

As it is placed along a created path through a community garden and towards the bluff stairs, it will be passed a number of times a day. It draws attention away from your movement, through the opening and towards the view that always exists, but is rarely noticed. I am interested to see how the work changes as the view is accessed.