Family Tree

In the end, I hung my handkerchiefs in a tree on my corner. As I was putting them up, a passerby asked what the project was. I explained that I made handkerchiefs for people I knew who had passed away with the deceased persons initials on them. As most of them were family members, the person offered the idea that it was somewhat of a family tree.

There were certain aspects of this project that I was very comfortable with. I enjoyed working with the materials and sewing, however, I was very uncomfortable bring the pieces out in the public and having people see me put it up. Putting so much time and investing energy in something made it really nerve-racking to see how the public would react. However, it was very rewarding. People generally seemed curious and interested. People were asking how long they would be up; others' were asking why.

I also wanted to mention that the making of the actual handkerchiefs was an important experience. It gave me time to think about these people. I thought about what the person would have liked their handkerchief to look like. The handkerchiefs developed a bit of personality especially when they were hanging in the tree.

I am excited to see what kind of life they will have in the public.

Thank you!

movie.mov

View image

View image

View image

View image

View image

View image