Recently in corner projects Category

Elisa's Ephemeral Snow Installation (Corner Project)

Ephemeral Installation Reflection:

I learned a lot from our project. We discussed many options and possible ideas, but in the end, the materials we ended up using dictated the outcome in many respects. Different materials could have changed the way that we made the space feel. Our experimentation with construction was very direct, and could have been done more in the planning stages. Our initial interest was the transform the experience of the space, rather than think functionally about the use of the space. We were certainly able to insert an intervention that altered the experience of the space. Over a longer period of time it could have been interesting to watch the installation evolve and grow, continuing to add and subtract from the experience. Ultimately, the most interesting way to understand what we were doing was to understand the experience as a performance of an event that died before it ever happened. I like the implications of reflecting on the death of our endeavors, even before we have fully manifested them.

Corner:

I am drawn to the corner of 22nd Ave S and 5th St because I walk by it every day, it has a number of pedestrians, even if there is not much of interest at the actual site, and it connects a view of the river with the concrete of our urban campus environment.

My first ephemeral transformation brings elements of my installation work to the site, intersecting them with the snow landscape and the light. I am interested in the way that the snow references other natural phenomena of different scale. To that end, I am most happy with my insertions when they also begin to reference clouds or cosmological elements of a different scale than the actual objects. I am also interested in placing ephemera so that it appears to might possibly only be the debris that is offered up as the snow melts.

map.jpg

snow bank 5.jpg

Snow Bank 10.jpg

snow bank.jpg

DSC05376.jpg

I think we can reflect on the success of the Devices for the Aerial Investigation of Public Space by the interactive activation of the space. The attraction to a swing is probably ubiquitos, in part because of an understanding of the framework for swinging learned during childhood. Swings allow rhythm and movement in a space, and remind us of the warm summers of our childhood and adolescence during a period of winter that seemed to drag on and on. Swinging brings its own type of interaction to an atrium space generally used for moving from outside to inside and maybe grabbing something to eat.

I wonder if there are currently too many tables and chairs. Walking around campus I notice that individuals will try to sit at their own table. I see a lot of people sitting alone at a table, even when some people are sitting on the floor or obviously waiting for a seat. I think the success of the swings involves their initial, static isolation. Their movement is activated only once someone begins to swing, so at that first moment a visitor will be welcomed with a single seat, with ample personal space. The swinging framework kicks in and as movement slowly initiates, visitors begin swinging closer and closer to other swingers, creating an interaction of rhythmic proximity and distance. Likewise, as the swinger travels through the air, they are aware of the physicality of the space. The railing moves farther away, and then nearer to the body schema on return, as one is aware of the body's interaction with a doorway, little conscious thought is required, but the door jam generally misses the shoulder. Swingers are mindful of the physical elements in the room as they jump from the highest stair aiming to touch the opposite wall.

Corner interaction
In Rules of Play, Katie Salen and Eric Zimmerman discuss, among other things the definition of interaction especially as it applies to play. One of the concepts is that "playing a game means making choices within a game system designed to support actions and outcomes in meaningful ways." I think this can be extended to a public interaction, so...

public interactive art could mean being given the opportunity to make choices within a system designed to support actions and outcomes in meaningful ways.

Some background. The corner is part of a WWI memorial parkway, also part of the extensive Minneapolis green-way system, used for biking, running and walking. The neighborhood, according to the census data is generally educated to a minimum bachelor's degree, with some more advanced, especially as you get closer to the hospitol down the parkway. This affords time for recreational exercise and walking, which is obvious from the volume of trail users.

Tapping into Sam Gould's definition of public art as conversation, and the discussion of the use of recognizable frameworks, I wanted to use an understandable framework, or two, to participate in a conversation that local users would be ready to participate in.

By placing the Hi5 counter adjacent to the walking path, I hope to tap into the framework of the High 5, something that most midwestern Americans readily understand. It's an action that is tied to physical activity, athletes give each other high 5's when running, or lifting weights, or during just about any sporting activity. Additionally, when someone sees a large red button, they generally know what to do with it--push it.

The apparatus of the Hi5 is a simple, high-contrast poster of a hand, with a large red button and a counter. When the button is pressed, the counter ticks off one Hi5.

Corner.jpg

poster01.jpg

Edit 5/15

There are a few more images (formatted for a proposal I put together to make a bunch more of these)

blogpost-corner-tc.jpg

And some Sketching

Eph-Corner-Sk01.jpg

corner project and hammocks

Sean and I have been thinking about collaborating for the corner project. We have a few ideas:

space behind barker and art building- there is a nice white wall for projection, it is a nice link from campus into the community. There is a vast history in this area. Last semester we took a Twin cities history class, and it would be interesting to share some of that history. My final paper was on West bank's history of the arts. I've been interested in social histories and space, so this could be an option to explore.

-triangle park on riverside ave- this is the most bizarre park ever. I don't think I have ever seen anyone in it. It is small, there is high car traffic, and it isn't all that attractive. It would be great to claim that space by doing something there. Some ideas I have had have been to through a bunch of seeds in the park that would hopefully grow into something (inspired by yoko ono's painting for the wind).

Sean and I have been talking about having some sort of event that draws people to the space, or projection for the passing cars.

-sidewalk around seward co-op- sean and i have for a while been talking about giving gifts to people in some sort of booth or in costumes. this is a space where we go that has a lot of foot traffic and could be a good place to have a gift exchange.

map:

View possibilities for corner... in a larger map

hammocks:

I was surprised by how many people used the hammocks. I was really pleased by this outcome. Though I don't think the conversation part of the hammocks ever was quite resolved, they were a nice addition to the space. I want them back up because now the space seems so lonely and uninviting. It was nice for a little while to see so much happening in a space that is normally so static and cold feeling.

6th st SE and 2nd Ave SE

The Corner I chose is 6th St SE and 2nd Ave. SE.

Map.png

I chose this corner for its diversity of buildings and its historic appearance. There is an apartment building, a printing press, the restaurant, Brasa, and the Telephone Building which houses various companies including an art and design grad school. I wanted to research this corner's history starting with the 'Telephone Building'

new building.JPG

I contacted the occupants of the various buildings and soon found out how very little they knew about the history of this corner. They were very curious however and were interested in hearing about any history I learned during this process. Because of the general sense of excitement I received in response I decided I wanted to visually capture the corner's history and display it for the neighbors to see. Here is something I found on nc artblog. I wanted to do something similar to this idea.

alksdfj.jpg

Here is a close up.

MG_6818_adj_web.jpg

Another Corner Iteration

Here is a sketch of some ideas for creating the image I am interested in on this corner. I love the sense of perspective and the bare trees. Now I need to figure out where to go from here.

5corner.jpg

Sean and Nicola's corner- facts for cars

P1011135.JPG

P1011136.JPG

P1011133.JPG

Sean and Nicola Corner: estudio: Car Facts!

artist intent:

provide information/humor to passing cars from HW94!!!

trivia, unexpected facts

contradicts expectations of homeless and protesters

--------------------------------------------------------------
signs:

armadillos can walk underwater

you weigh slightly less when the moon is directly overhead

ants never sleep

if you stretch a standard slinky out flat, it measures 87 feet long

hummingbirds are the only animal that can fly backwards

there are around 10,000 trillion ants in the world

welcome to latitude: 44.964599 longitude: -93.233760

elephants have 4 knees

polar bears are left handed

it would take around 1,600,050,000 pieces of this paper to weigh the same as a full grown male african elephant

a crocodile cannot stick its tongue out

2+2=4

mosquitos have teeth

camels have three sets of eyelids. one of them is clear.

you have around 100-150 eyelashes on each of your eyes

you blink around 4,200,000 times each year of your life

View Sean and Nicola Corner: estudio: Car Facts! in a larger map

Corner Project

I set up 28 round reflector panels underneath the bridge at Lake and Stevens in a double arrow ( <-->) design. On each of the panels I wrote the words "Saint Christopher Protect Us." My attempt was to transform the panels into amulet medallions. I posted two signs encouraging passer-bys to remove and take a medallion. I asked, furthermore that if they lived towards Hennepin they take one from the left and if they lived towards Hiawatha they take one from the right.
102_3524.JPG
102_3529.JPG
alt="102_3530.JPG" src="http://blog.lib.umn.edu/willow/estudio_seminar/assets_c/2011/04/102_3530-thumb-600x450-78029.jpg" width="600" height="450" class="mt-image-center" style="text-align: center; display: block; margin: 0 auto 20px;" />
102_3532.JPG
The piece is meant to be about choices, travel, traffic currents,different speeds of looking and walking, protection and being protected and possibly throwing away things that protect you and history and new ways of looking at the old, new ways of looking at things from a distance, new ways of approaching a crossroads and arbitrary midpoints in space (a position we arguably occupy everyday, destruction and equilibrium in the evolution of an image over time (the arrows should transform into a scattered cluster of dots after a while), and my family's history with Lake Street (Stevens is the midpoint between Hennepin and 13th where my mother and her siblings lived 30 years ago).
A week later, when I revisited the site, all but 4 pendents were removed, presumably taken. The 4 that were left were all on the Hennepin Ave side of the bridge, and so may tell us something about the people that frequent the bridge.102_3560.JPG

Park Corner Project

Here are some images of the swings that I mentioned in class. The presence of the rope and sign only lasted one day, I drove past the park on Friday (the 15th) and saw that everything had disappeared. It was bittersweet, because the unplanned removal of my ephemeral installation meant that people actually do go to the park near my house, but I was frustrated that all of my materials had vanished, (I had prepared for my things to be taken, but not everything, oh well).
Now I'm planning on venturing on to the next idea I have in mind to the park area. My focus will be on the grass near the park or doing something else to the sand. Hopefully the next ephemeral art idea I have works a little better and longer--Krista

Sign.jpg

Together.jpg

Swingset.jpg

Plans with Corner~Krista

FuturePlan--weathercooperates.jpg

I unfortunately have not had the time to accomplish my other plans with this corner. I am trying to coordinate with the weather, which is nearly impossible. Also, I am worried that anything I do further with the corner will just be taken down or someone will complain. My first swing interaction was quickly taken down. We'll see though, hopefully this weekend I'll find the time, because the weather is supposed be nice. Maybe if I put it up really early in the morning, it will last longer? --who knows.

My idea with the balloons was inspired by my performance class, because I had to buy a bunch of balloons, so I might as well reuse my materials, and I figured if the balloons are in the ship, adults won't interfere and take them away. Hopefully they will just be seen by the kids that play there.

Bluff Installations (in magenta)

The bluff edge in my neighborhood is overgrown, forgotten, and littered. I planned three interventions that would generate a moment of attention for this neglected community asset. The first, installed a week ago, was at a guardrail above a steep drop:

View image
View image

Though I don't have photos of the original configuration, which was four vertical panels obscuring the view, the work quickly fell apart due to vandalism and the elements. I find its deterioration symbolic of the bluff edge itself, which was once quite intentional but has become tattered over time. The second, installed Wednesday morning, was along a secluded stair:

View image
View image

As neighbors take the stairs to and from the bus stop and commercial area, they pass under a canopy of fluttering plastic. Even a day later, the influence of the wind, rain, and passers-by is evident. The third piece was installed at the top of the stair, near a view of downtown Saint Paul:

As it is placed along a created path through a community garden and towards the bluff stairs, it will be passed a number of times a day. It draws attention away from your movement, through the opening and towards the view that always exists, but is rarely noticed. I am interested to see how the work changes as the view is accessed.