Recently in ephemeral transformations Category

Superswings

Using the large steel beams that run east/west in the ceiling of Regis East (that the large lamps are suspended from) I propose to suspend a simple wood and nylon rope swing in the cafe area. Ideally, I would replace the tables and chairs with several of these swings placed throughout as the beams permitted. This would still allow for seating and yet the strange placement and oversized nature of the swings would encourage playfulness and wonder at how transformational it could be.

"As If Others Were in It"

My idea is a two-part noise-based installation. For the first part, we will invite people to come into Regis and record 5 seconds of a noise of their making. The idea is to keep it original, fun, and loose, like in 5-second films. For a few days people can get excited about what kinds of sounds they can make and be heard, and then it's finished. My hope is that this leftover excitement can then be converted to further creativity in and around the art building.

The second part will consist of setting up sensors near the building's main entrances and loading the noise clips onto a queue that will play off one by one as people enter and leave the building. Doing this will activate the building at its edges and give each day's participants an audience to hear what they made.541931046dylQmP_fs.jpg541931046dylQmP_fs.jpg

Krista-East Regis Proposal

In order to improve the space in the East Regis building, I would propose to add some music, color, and more lounging chairs. The music would be loud enough in order to add life to the atmosphere, but quiet enough to allow most people to continue to use the area as a studying space. I personally enjoy places such as coffee shops and caf├ęs to study, because the white noise is calming and helps me concentrate better.

In addition to music, I would want to add color in the form of plants, whether they are fake or not, or some sort of colored lighting. I was inspired by the Institute of Art in Minneapolis, and how they use lights at night that project onto the gigantic white pillars. Color would grab attention and invite people to the space.

Last but not least, I would want to add inflatable chairs. These chairs could take many forms; such as, inner-tubes, spheres, semi-spheres, actual chair structures, or inflatable rectangular prisms. The materials would be out of thick plastic that would hopefully not deflate or puncture easily. Each chair would be shaped and colored differently. Along with chairs there could be the possibility of adding foot-rests and blow-up table-like structures to add to the convenience of lounging in this area.

My goal is to make the Regis Art building a place where commuters want to study and people that live nearby want to meet.

Nicola- Transform windows!

When looking throughout Regis, I noticed that a large majority of flat surfaces in Regis are windows. There is a huge block of windows in Regis E and in the skyway.

Windows are interesting because they bring people into a space, and also make people look out into the world. At first I had some problems using the Regis building as a space, because the audience is so small and artificial. It's not a real world space, and I questioned the importance of making public art for people who study art. To me, it seems more of a test zone for works. But then I started thinking about windows. If we do something on windows, suddenly people walking by can be part of the piece as well.

Now for the idea:

When I was little, I had these window paints to make window art with, and also remember that I had clings for bath time. They were plastic and were in shapes and letters.
When was at the walker a couple of saturdays ago, I saw that they had a kids activity where they could cut out plastic film in any shape (they were all blue to go along with the Yves Klein show). It really transformed the space and drew people to it. Also, when they were done, the window clings stayed, and people could reposition them.

I would like to do something like this to transform Regis. It would be cool to make window clings, and offer the chance for people to move them around. It would be like real life colorforms.

colorforms

other window ideas:

one way mirror material in shapes

plastic window insulation with cool images... would also make the space a little warmer

Two proposals from Jonathan

I have two different proposals. Both build off of ideas presented in previous proposals. I think we should be open to improvising based on what materials we can get, and in what quantities.

1) Inner Skin
I like the idea of creating an inflatable curving wall that would go inside the windows and insulate heat better, while also reducing the scale of the space slightly. This translucent shape would soften the light and the shape of the room, making a cozier social space. I also like the proposition of bringing in plants and perhaps a record player with a bunch of old records. (PS I just walked out in the hall and Sam was playing records in the very place I had imagined, and it was great.)

inner-skin.jpg

2) Conversation Hammocks
This idea was inspired by a conversation with Daniel during last class when he started suggesting the idea of swings. Another thing we could suspend from the ceiling beeams is hammocks. What if we had clusters of 5 hammocks radiating out from a central point, so that everyone's feet pointed toward the middle. People could lounge individually, or join groups where they could converse while they relax. These could be in conjunction with the Inner Skin, or separate.

conversation-hammock.jpg

Ephemeral Transformation Proposal

Ernesto Neto created an installation at the Armory in New York in 2009. I wasn't as excited about the installation as I have been about some of his other work, but one very nice aspect was the oversized bean-bag in which numerous visitors could lounge simultaneously while gazing up at the walls of a very tall and sheer tent:

Neto Bean Bag.jpg

Could we create a large space on which to lounge comfortably, with no separate chairs isolating bodies?

Could we allow for strategic windows in the tent that let a direct image of the sky or the sun enter the viewers' perceptual field, creating the phenomenological experience of the sky that a Turrell skyspace provides? Or could we use colored lights or colorful fabric to create a new environment with color?

Those are my thoughts!

- Elisa

Ephemeral transformation installation proposal.

Some key ideas to explore.

Personal Space/Public Space/Shared Space
Viewers concept of personal space, as opposed to their concept of public space. What might happen when objects in a public space intrude upon a persons personal space.
How could have happen?
What am I considering personal space?
How would I like to violate that space?
How do I do so in a why that is interesting and engaging without being irritating and annoying.
Ideas of shared space and spaces that could be linked for sharing.
Can two, non-adjacent spaces, be connected and shared?

Composite Space?
How would a person feel about sharing a "composite" space?

Composite spaces? Additive spaces? "Folded" spaces, from book, if universe is a sheet, and places can touch when they touch by being folded together.

Spatial awareness
Chilling/heat?
Bursts of air?
Light?
Vibration?

Technological "Magic"
What is the quote about technology versus magic...

Proposal

Having e-studio in our building is going to play main role in this project. I am currently memorized by the thought that in few weeks seeds will grow into sprouts and later into plants. In forests fungi and various mushrooms will start to grow and I want to relate to this organically.
I plan to start with a small organic shape with air filled transparent material and each night for few weeks or as space permits, I will add new shapes and possibly introduce new materials to grow this small form. Also I will try to add these changes in a quiet environment when building has very less occupants. Gradually this growth will be noticeable like we are surprised by diverse growth in nature.

Place is still undecided. Mainly to check with admins about the duration of this project. Actually any space can be occupied by this phenomenon.

Besides a silent surprise aspect, I wish to put into visual the general growth of an art student and student community.

Finally Swinging

Here we have some evidence of success. I've gotten lots of comments from people that include adjectives like "fantastic' and "amazing".
Working title is: Devices for the Aerial Investigation of Public Space
Collaborative team: Tony Carton, Daniel Dean, Meena Mangalvedhekar, Emily Stover
photo.jpg
swings1.jpg - photo by Kara Harm
IMG_3110.MOVvid by daniel dean
swings2_KRISTIN.jpg

Photos for Now

MyPicture-1.jpg

Party.jpg

MyPicture-2.jpg