Recently in collaborative projects - Regis East atrium Category

ephemeral transformations

images.jpg

As we begin to explore our response to the experience of being in Regis Center for Art, the atrium space of the East building has attracted the attention of the group as a site for ephemeral transformations.

Post your ephemeral transformation/s concept/s using any media forms that most effectively convey your idea and the sensibility that is important to you. Refer to the reading from Eyes of the Skin to reflect upon the sensory experiences engaged in the ephemeral transformation that you propose.

images-1.jpg

Superswings

Using the large steel beams that run east/west in the ceiling of Regis East (that the large lamps are suspended from) I propose to suspend a simple wood and nylon rope swing in the cafe area. Ideally, I would replace the tables and chairs with several of these swings placed throughout as the beams permitted. This would still allow for seating and yet the strange placement and oversized nature of the swings would encourage playfulness and wonder at how transformational it could be.

Krista-East Regis Proposal

In order to improve the space in the East Regis building, I would propose to add some music, color, and more lounging chairs. The music would be loud enough in order to add life to the atmosphere, but quiet enough to allow most people to continue to use the area as a studying space. I personally enjoy places such as coffee shops and caf├ęs to study, because the white noise is calming and helps me concentrate better.

In addition to music, I would want to add color in the form of plants, whether they are fake or not, or some sort of colored lighting. I was inspired by the Institute of Art in Minneapolis, and how they use lights at night that project onto the gigantic white pillars. Color would grab attention and invite people to the space.

Last but not least, I would want to add inflatable chairs. These chairs could take many forms; such as, inner-tubes, spheres, semi-spheres, actual chair structures, or inflatable rectangular prisms. The materials would be out of thick plastic that would hopefully not deflate or puncture easily. Each chair would be shaped and colored differently. Along with chairs there could be the possibility of adding foot-rests and blow-up table-like structures to add to the convenience of lounging in this area.

My goal is to make the Regis Art building a place where commuters want to study and people that live nearby want to meet.

Hammocks! (sean)

Regis East could use hammocks!

matrimonial.76212431_std.jpg

Regis East is very open and spacious. Using this openness and inserting opportunity to relax and contemplate the beautiful light and openness of the space would be valuable.

I believe students, faculty and others are in need of rest, relaxation, and play. Hammocks are very light and portable and inspire carefree play when compared to beds.

The logistics as to where such structures could be suspended is still in progress.

Teleporter! (sean)

Including a teleporter in Regis would be extremely fun and exciting.

Of course, the whole project would be approached with comedy and imagination.

I was imagining fabricating a teleporter. This could look like a cylindrical tube made of fabric.

kinda like this...Haba-Blossom-Sky-Room-Tent.jpg
(but with a solid non-translucent fabric)

or it could be more imagined with just a simple platform to stand on...like this...
TeleporterBase.png

either way, I believe a teleporter could be funny, playful, and encourage childhood imagination and humbleness. Using suspension of disbelief allows participants to extend the physical object into an experience which can be personal to their imaginations.

I think it would be useful to include an informational brochure or sign which could describe the teleporter.

This object could be mobile and move locations throughout Regis East and West... and perhaps other places too!

here's a song about teleporters!

Ephemeral transformation installation proposal.

Some key ideas to explore.

Personal Space/Public Space/Shared Space
Viewers concept of personal space, as opposed to their concept of public space. What might happen when objects in a public space intrude upon a persons personal space.
How could have happen?
What am I considering personal space?
How would I like to violate that space?
How do I do so in a why that is interesting and engaging without being irritating and annoying.
Ideas of shared space and spaces that could be linked for sharing.
Can two, non-adjacent spaces, be connected and shared?

Composite Space?
How would a person feel about sharing a "composite" space?

Composite spaces? Additive spaces? "Folded" spaces, from book, if universe is a sheet, and places can touch when they touch by being folded together.

Spatial awareness
Chilling/heat?
Bursts of air?
Light?
Vibration?

Technological "Magic"
What is the quote about technology versus magic...

hammock design ideas

ekorre hammock chair.jpg
3395938721_e9c30053d7.jpg
38616-1198614541-17-l.jpg

Finally Swinging

Here we have some evidence of success. I've gotten lots of comments from people that include adjectives like "fantastic' and "amazing".
Working title is: Devices for the Aerial Investigation of Public Space
Collaborative team: Tony Carton, Daniel Dean, Meena Mangalvedhekar, Emily Stover
photo.jpg
swings1.jpg - photo by Kara Harm
IMG_3110.MOVvid by daniel dean
swings2_KRISTIN.jpg

Photos for Now

MyPicture-1.jpg

Party.jpg

MyPicture-2.jpg

I think we can reflect on the success of the Devices for the Aerial Investigation of Public Space by the interactive activation of the space. The attraction to a swing is probably ubiquitos, in part because of an understanding of the framework for swinging learned during childhood. Swings allow rhythm and movement in a space, and remind us of the warm summers of our childhood and adolescence during a period of winter that seemed to drag on and on. Swinging brings its own type of interaction to an atrium space generally used for moving from outside to inside and maybe grabbing something to eat.

I wonder if there are currently too many tables and chairs. Walking around campus I notice that individuals will try to sit at their own table. I see a lot of people sitting alone at a table, even when some people are sitting on the floor or obviously waiting for a seat. I think the success of the swings involves their initial, static isolation. Their movement is activated only once someone begins to swing, so at that first moment a visitor will be welcomed with a single seat, with ample personal space. The swinging framework kicks in and as movement slowly initiates, visitors begin swinging closer and closer to other swingers, creating an interaction of rhythmic proximity and distance. Likewise, as the swinger travels through the air, they are aware of the physicality of the space. The railing moves farther away, and then nearer to the body schema on return, as one is aware of the body's interaction with a doorway, little conscious thought is required, but the door jam generally misses the shoulder. Swingers are mindful of the physical elements in the room as they jump from the highest stair aiming to touch the opposite wall.

Corner interaction
In Rules of Play, Katie Salen and Eric Zimmerman discuss, among other things the definition of interaction especially as it applies to play. One of the concepts is that "playing a game means making choices within a game system designed to support actions and outcomes in meaningful ways." I think this can be extended to a public interaction, so...

public interactive art could mean being given the opportunity to make choices within a system designed to support actions and outcomes in meaningful ways.

Some background. The corner is part of a WWI memorial parkway, also part of the extensive Minneapolis green-way system, used for biking, running and walking. The neighborhood, according to the census data is generally educated to a minimum bachelor's degree, with some more advanced, especially as you get closer to the hospitol down the parkway. This affords time for recreational exercise and walking, which is obvious from the volume of trail users.

Tapping into Sam Gould's definition of public art as conversation, and the discussion of the use of recognizable frameworks, I wanted to use an understandable framework, or two, to participate in a conversation that local users would be ready to participate in.

By placing the Hi5 counter adjacent to the walking path, I hope to tap into the framework of the High 5, something that most midwestern Americans readily understand. It's an action that is tied to physical activity, athletes give each other high 5's when running, or lifting weights, or during just about any sporting activity. Additionally, when someone sees a large red button, they generally know what to do with it--push it.

The apparatus of the Hi5 is a simple, high-contrast poster of a hand, with a large red button and a counter. When the button is pressed, the counter ticks off one Hi5.

Corner.jpg

poster01.jpg

Edit 5/15

There are a few more images (formatted for a proposal I put together to make a bunch more of these)

blogpost-corner-tc.jpg

And some Sketching

Eph-Corner-Sk01.jpg