Artist Presentation

My most recent favorite artist is a gentleman known by most as Banksy. He is an anonymous English graffiti artist, that is know to roam the streets as night and display his art to the public by early morning. Nobody ever actually sees him in action. He is not only an amazing artist but also a political activist constantly using his art to challenge political agendas. I recently saw a film about him and the description I found most suitable was " mix the irony and juxtaposition of John Yates with the beauty of the finest aerosol art, and you'll have some idea of how good this really is." His work inspires me because society labels it as vandalism, yet I see it as political and social commentary that is very honest and important. A few of the pieces are a bit dark for my taste, but I like that they make a strong statement and rebel against artistic norms. One of my favorite quotes from him is " We can't do anything to change the world until capitalism crumbles. In the meantime we should all go shopping to console ourselves." This as well as in most of his art shows that at least he still has a sense of humor.