Recently in artists Category

modern artists

I have several that I am continually interested in and some that are new since the beginning of this class. One of my favorite contemporary artists is named Barry McGee from San Francisco. He specializes in pop art, graffiti art and typically in the realm of subcultures from that area. He creates characters that always seem tired, distraught, disillusioned or heartbroken with modern society, control, addiction and mass media. He has been highly regarded in that underground punk/surf/skateboard culture and I have always found that fascinating, fancying myself one of those members although I grew up in the midwest. I really enjoy the dark and dramatic expressions and lines in his characters, and most often they seem relatable and familiar. Here is one of his prints:

Another artist that I found recently is named Shea Hembrey. He has a unique background and currently an equally unique concept of singularity. His work is titled "Biennial" where he created 100 artists with differing mediums and stories, and then created the works that they themselves would create. We get a twofer in his current work. I thought this concept was so new and risky and seemingly complex, but he states that simplicity and universal understanding was important to him for the viewers of his work. Art is supposed to touch people, rather than to be completely esoteric that it is difficult to articulate. He seems like a cool dude. HIs website:

Another artist I found in the literary magazine "Paper Darts" is named Jolyn Frazier. Her work seems light, playful and funny. The piece "Don't Let the Bastards Get You Down" made me laugh for about twenty minutes straight. I find anthropomorphic work hilarious for some reason I cannot explain. "Paper Darts" is a good source for all kinds of art, and new contemporary/digital artists.

reflections

walker

I really enjoyed "Absentee Landlord" curated by Mr. Waters and the other exhibit titled "Parallel Occurrences/Documented Assignments". I did not find the latter exhibit particularly appealing visually, but rather the whole concept that the artist Mark Manders was working with and around. He was interested in everyday objects and language and how that shapes our relationship in and with the world around us. He is a bit of an anthropologist in that he was very focused on culture and the minute tangible objects that actually play a large part of our daily lives. He combined things that seem unconnected and creates a story from this relationship. I really like the idea of household objects, taxidermied animals and other non-living pieces having identities, stories and a life all their own. This reminds me of one of my favorite pieces of fiction by the author Tom Robbins titled "Skinny Legs and All" which does that very same thing with a spoon, sock, and can of beans.

John Waters curated exhibit was colorful and varied. He seems like an interesting artist, never keeping to one medium or another and always trying to stay in a provocative or perverse vein. One of his pieces that struck me right away was the 'cut/uncut' which needed no further explanation at first glance with the imagery of a spaceship running into the side of the white house beside the airplanes hitting the twin towers. It was just attesting to the tragedy and horror of that occurrence- which seems to happen unaccounted for all over the world all the time- and how it almost could be a fictionalized moment due to it's extremely violent nature, something that would be found in a blockbuster movie. The reason this image resonated with me so much is because I remember seeing the planes hit the towers live and firstly thinking that perhaps it was a new Michael Bay film being advertised. I also enjoyed the short film "Flooded McDonald's" by the artistic team Superflex. It was a poignant film in the message it was delivering about mass consumption and inevitable disaster, global issues, commodity fetishism and outsourcing and the effects that that will have on local and foreign economies and their respective environments. The "Exposed" exhibit was really engaging with it's disturbing photography and installations and the idea of where is the line drawn on photography/mass media and society and how personal is too personal? It dealt with all the attention getting themes of violence, sex, celebrity and viscera which I found especially appealing. I think I enjoyed that because of my fascination with human biology and also that unappetizing feeling you get by looking at disturbing images of flesh and blood that you are still drawn to, with those tug of war feelings of repulsion and arousal, and those goos bumps that eventually proceed from that visualization. I also liked that Waters included the Yves Klein print of the female bodies on that translucent piece of fabric, or curtain of which I cannot remember the name. It was my favorite in the Klein "Blue" exhibit. I also would like to check out the "Ballad of Sexual Dependency" which I missed due to time constraints. It is really wonderful being able to witness something so intimate and artfully done, universal but individualized to each personal relationship.

Artist - Camille Utterback

We looked at Camille's work in class and I really enjoyed it. We mentioned on the last day of class that processing was our biggest challenge throughout the course and her work is so much more appreciated when you realize what all goes into it. Text rain is very cool and I love the dynamic process shown in her work. She is internationally acclaimed and has many pieces in great places all over the world
One interactive installation that we didn't look at in class was "Drawing From Life". This piece opened in May of 2001 at the American Museum of Natural History in New York, which to me says something. 2001 technology was very advanced but not like it is today... it's still ten years ago, but the piece still feels very modern. It is made up of glowing letters that combine to create a silhouette of who ever is moving or interacting with it. The colors are vivid and bright and change randomly which, according to the description of the work, hints at the vitality and chaos of life itself. I feel like this is definitely accurately portrayed.
I really like this piece because I am interested in the figure. I took a life drawing class as well this summer so I am currently in the mindset of art as using the figure and when I see figure art I tend to think of it more carefully. I look at how the artist portrays the figure and shows life in that figure... as well as different techniques used to create the figure. This piece took it to an new level and I was really fascinated with the interaction between and actual human and the computer technology to create this moving reproduction. Very cool.
Camille's work is very playful and always interactive and changes the way I used to think of 'art'.

Artist Presentation: Camille Utterback

I was initially drawn to Camille Utterback when we viewed her work during class because she encourages participation from her audience in her work. I think if we were able to have more installations like these in public spaces they would make a positive impact on people. Especially in our fast-paced society, where it is important to take time to slow down and participate in something enjoyable and have a positive reaction to it.

Another factor of here work that I noticed in the "Shifting Time" installation that exists in the San Jose airport is her ability to educate through her work through use of images. When the viewer walks by the image of the street, their movement literally turns back time, showing the street at a previous point -- decades ago. It's a nice nod to history of the space you are in. The airport environment is very appropriate too.

I think work like this, that encourages participation and social interaction, will be an excellent balance to the continued lack of face to face contact in our age because of our reliance on computers and digital communication.

Y0UNG-HAE CHANG HEAVY INDUSTRIES

http://www.yhchang.com/

Here is the Korean artist I mentioned in class today.

~Aaron

artists

digital imagery

Nina Katchadourian

Amy Youngs

Jonathan Harris

Jeff Wall

Jason Salavon

Michelle Turre

Learning to Love You More

new media ::

Camille Utterbach : her early interactive installation Text Rain and a public installation, Aurora Organ, that you can experience in St Louis Park, MN.

Golan Levin
and his projects: Messa di Vocce, eye code, and Dialtones (A Telesymphony)