Recently in postmodernism and photoshop Category

Reflection on Postmodernism & Photoshop

My process of making media is centered on the product that I intend to create. Personally the "mixed-media" style work I've made thus far has fit relatively neatly into the area of collage, and I haven't focused on developing any particularly unique processes for creating it. Why are we in contemporary culture so infatuated with "the backstory"? The story often can overshadow the headline. Celebrity culture and the perils of a capitalist economy have fueled our innate desire for all the dirty details. Process is auxiliary. The tangible reality that art exists in does not necessarily come with sparknotes. There's a silly saying or quote from a song or something that says "the more I see the less I know". The experience of art as a vessel for exploration enunciates this sensation of not-knowing. Whenever I drag one of my friends to an art museum with me I always force them to read the information about pieces they like because often in this situation I have an urge to understand the work from the perspective of the presumably well informed curator/artist who elaborated about their piece. This dichotomy between the importance of both knowing and not knowing is something of extreme significance in my aspirations to gain a better understanding of art. There's something raw about an honest attempt by someone who could be considered uninformed observing art. And I think that it's important to be careful to not let yourself feel like you understand art too well, because then the experience of the unknown is in effect lost.

On postmodernism and photoshop - Sheng

At first I would agree that one improtant factor of postmoderism is that many of the art works are made from "ready-made" stuffs, with digital approaches such as photoshop. And this is what we did to make the sketch with photoshop. However, "copy and paste" is not all for postmoderism and making artworks in this kind of ways will not lose the creativity and originality of artwroks.
The first thing is not all "ready-made" sources in a work are from works of other people. Like what's shown in our sketch, we use the map of west bank UMN to be the backgroud, that's just taken form some ready-made sources. Other elements we used in the work are some pictures we taken at westbank, like pictures of flowers and trees, thoes are also ready-made things, but that's also our own works and we did not just take it from elsewhere. This is a common situation in postmodernism artwrok, thus the author can make some works to be the raw materials for the final work, and he/she can use photoshop to work further on these materials. So actually photoshop is just one last step in the whole process of making artwork and everything in this kind of artwork can be original.
Another thing is using photoshop is not just "copy and paste" kind of work. In our work, we did that because we only know little about photoshop, so we can only do very primery kind of operation to the materials we used to bulid the final work, such as copy and paste, and filters. But even in this kind of process we can have some creativity. Just like the famous pope art picture of Marilyn Monroe, the process of making that kind of work can be really simple, but it can also be considered to be a great artwork with great creativity. So the key is not your raw materials are original, but the way you bulid the work. If you put your own throught into your work and ket people realize it through your work, then people will appreciate your work just like those traditional art works. This is also what we did when we creating our sketch, we used some pictures taken and some form internet, but we combine and arrange them in our own way. If you look at our work you can figure out our thought when we creating this, and the thought while creating your own work is creativity. The traditional art works can be created form nothing, just like a paint, but postmodernism atrworks may be created from ready-made materials. Nevertheless, a postmodernism artwork can show same kind of creativity as a traditional artwork, because both of them can make audiance see the author's thought while creating it.

postmodernism

This was an interesting excerpt on parallels of social conventions and modern day art and creativity. The notion of authorship being creation of something new from things that have already been created. This postmodern form of art and creation is new in the sense that artists take bits of media they find interesting and form something different or transcendent. This is made possible through technology and the immediacy and ease of which it is created, shared and found.

The notion of using other artist's work is not a new concept as inspiration and influence has been around since art was created by human beings. Creation of better and more efficient technology, pharmacology, medical practices and processes, architecture etc has always been built upon from former methodologies. Looking at research procedures such as in the field of biochemistry, these postmodern photoshop practices have total overlaps in utilizing natural proteins and the creation of synthetic materials. It is really interesting because it seems to be the first photoshop in a sense. The 'copy' and 'paste' of new media is exactly like the 'copy' and 'paste' of proteins, hormones, chemicals and other biological materials. Researchers are inspired by past theories and create new theories using old biological materials, or new synthetic materials that are created using borrowed practices. These similarities came to the surface for me while reading this excerpt.

"This mutability of electronic media is just one step away from "variability" of new media", is a great summation of the article. This is an articulate way to describe new ways of creation in both biological and technological arenas in society. This type of creation is only going to become more simple and prolific for artists and lay people alike.

"Postmodernism" and Photoshop, Aaron

The mode of painting I generally work in involves both the "ready-made" in the form of digitally collaged images and the "from scratch" in the form of tactile painting. This can further be extended to my process of making poetry since the act of constructing a poem generally is a slow, hand-written process--but within that process I tend to appropriate bits and pieces of text from a cacophony of sources.

That said, it is hard to say if anything is "from scratch" with mystic "sense of place" and bodily mode of production that such a concept implies. The physical act of painting involves paint which likely has pigments that were produced in Asian factories, mechanical tools to cut wood or stretch canvass, a workspace with various accoutrements, and so on and so forth.

I can even extend this to the act of making goat cheese (something that is generally viewed as "from scratch" to even greater degree). I milk a goat that is from a line of goats raised and bred in Montana, I then use various milking implements (buckets, strainers, etc) produced in various places before inoculating the milk with a culture that was shipped from California, and then put the finished product in a electric run refrigerator.

The mode of production on the computer (or any other form of new media) only further extends this complex system into an abstracted space of interconnections (that is built on the foundation of the industrially produced hardware).

Of course, much of the above was associated (like the article) with a single 'I' producing a product (even if the final product can be mechanically reproduced in various versions). When much of the above requires a strange level of unacknowledged collaboration--who made the paint, paper, canvass, computer, etc? Is the interaction with the goat collaboration? Who exactly makes a film? A film may have a point where it is sent off to be viewed (but even then they are often spliced together at theaters). The "magic lantern" technology likely echoes the computer more via the one-to-one relationship the "author" has with a mode of production.

If we turn this towards the abstracted space of the web we get a space where concepts are leveled and everything is "game" for the hyper-creative 'I' that collages and reorganizes information out of a field of information where all authorship has been stripped away from the previous owners--while this may serve to level the biases and assumptions of the authors that created the original images, it also creates a new form of selectivity where the newly created "texts" are subject to the biases and predilections of a singular 'I' who is abstracted into an egotism by a lack of connection to the other authors.

Lindsay

The process of making media from scratch, such as walking around campus taking photographs was very enjoyable to me. It was interesting to work with other classmates and be able to see their different perspectives. The group collaboration using the photographs was a little bit trickier, but enjoyable just the same. I am always amazed at how advanced our technologies have become, so that we can now so easily put together pictures and art from a variety of locations. My group did a simple web search for fairy wings and found multiple pairs that could be manipulated to fit our photo in photoshop. Related to this, I really liked reading about post modernism because it show me the larger significance of choosing artistic means such as photoshop and the impact this style of art has on our culture. Jobs wit in the various electronic media technologies and use of these, have sky rocketed in the last couple of generations, and I think more people are beginning to appreciate them.

Alyssa

Thus far the digital art I have created has been minimal, so I'd prefer to draw upon the stories I've written and my process in piecing them together.

As referenced in the reading, the "naturalization" process of creation in the digital realm has foundations in pre-selection. The user might choose their materials from a pre-selected group that they did not create from scratch. My process in creating stories draws from this selection process in that I am able to select pre-existing pieces of information to include in my stories. However, in the final product -- the story -- there is a combination of a pre-selected collection of information (such as online research) and information that wouldn't exist had I not created it (such as an interview). How I, as a writer, choose to weave together a story is where I can use creativity. I can choose how to organize and flow the elements of information, and sequence them using transitions to glue them together. Stories are much like the evolution of media, in that one story is often times built off of another, and refocused and tweaked to further grow and evolve.

One comparison to note, however, is that while the web is essentially a library of information for these stories, the next step in writing is to use due diligence in what information you use by way of fact checking. So there is an extra step in the story creation process that might hinder a writer from using certain pieces of already existing information.

Emma

I thought the section on postmodernism and photoshop was interesting. I had always thought about art as a way to make something original to express your creativity. This can be done by altering something already made or creating something completely new. So when the article talked about how computer software has 'naturalized the model of authorship as selection from libraries of pre-defined objects' i thought about it more closely. I am new to computer software such as photoshop, so I never really thought about how the choices the artist makes when altering a photo via photoshop are limited. They may seem endless and there are tons of opportunities to modify the image, but everything you can do, has already been thought about and planned by the creators of the software. Their algorithms allow these transformations so in a way it is limited. The great thing about art though, is that by combining different 'filters' you can create something completely original. I think that photoshop is just this era's tool to express... the way hand colorization of silent films was a way to make something unique in a different era.
They also talk about postmodernism and how it all began in the 80's with new developments. I think just as other art periods progressed with influences from all the new and exciting things at the time, so has postmodernism with it's influence from computers. The web is only going to continue to develop and we are going to be able to do so many more things. This means art will also develop. I think the new technology has helped me personally to think of new ways to put things together. I am inspired by seeing other's works. And although I haven't done much of my art on the computer, seeing what others have come up with makes me want to try new ideas and concepts in my work. It's always fun to play around. Like can you draw something as if it were two images overlapped with different opacities made in photoshop? Can you paint the water to also reflect the sky like you see in so many photos? I think by using technology we can create a lot of new and exciting art, from scratch, that we may not have even dreamed about before.
As for working with already made materials, I do this a lot. I love going to craft stores and picking up items to paint and then put together. I think a lot of art is made this way. You put yourself into these already made objects by altering them in whatever way you choose. And in my opinion, they look like they are from scratch. The difference in making things from scratch and making something from other objects isn't what's significant. It's the fact that you had and idea and displayed your thoughts for others to see and enjoy. That's art.

Vanessa

I really enjoyed the process of making art from scratch. It gave our group the freedom and control to create our own path and direction for our walk that day. In my eyes art from scratch gives you the opportunity to explore and create anything. There are endless possibilities when an image is created from scratch. As the artist you are in total control of every. It was really fun because we got to pick the scenery and position our selves to create our own unique image.
In contrast mixing "ready-made" media elements is just as fun. "ready-made" images are a template for the final product. The "author as selection" process still enables creativity but from an inspired source. This type of art allows for multiple sources to be incorporated into one piece. Since the Internet is the primary source for mixed art there are so many possibilities and directions that can be taken with separate pieces of art. Mixed art for me is all about being inspired from different sources and making something new.
Making art from scratch and mixing of art both come from separate origins. However they both utilize creativity and create a wide range of possibilities for the final product.

Alyssa

postmodernism and photshop

Read the section "postmodernism and photoshop" pages 124 - 129. Post a reflection about your process of making media "from scratch" and / or mixing "ready-made" media elements.