final projects critique

Power of One - Prayer Flags

My primary art medium for all my artwork is fabric. I am fascinated by the use of fabric in our lives; beginning with the fundamental aspect of protection and then its power to symbolize who we are socially, culturally, and spiritually.

This project focus is the spiritual aspect of fabric. I’m particularly drawn to the combination of the sacred and visual aspect of the Tibetan Prayer Flags. The traditional significance of the pray flags is to impart blessings of virtue, goodness, healing and happiness in the world.

I wanted to carry this philosophy a step further by seeing the opposite of virtue, goodness, healing and happiness. The participant has the control to see the effects of their actions. Moving from bad to good.

Because I have a western tradition and philosophy, when I look at the pray flags I can’t help but add to this meaning Newton’s laws of motion and the relationship between forces, body and motion.

Download file

Window Hack v.1

window.jpg

Continue reading "Window Hack v.1" »

Busy Bees

bee.jpg

Continue reading "Busy Bees" »

MAPPING CONNECTIONS

http://www.geocities.com/kathleen.grundman

Here is the link to a rough outline of making my project web-interactive, hope to continue next semester.
Thanks for all the technical (and moral) support throughout the semester. Katie.

Jin-Yo Mok and SoniColumn: What I Think

Mid-November, in my previous posting on the two Korean artists which I presented, I only provided links and not much elaboration on why I chose these two artists.

One reason I chose Korea, of course, is that I already have a Korean connection and have been to the country three times. But this is only where I started, why I constrained my search among Korean artists for this project. As it turns out, Jin-Yo Mok's SoniColumn was right along my lines of thinking for my touch project, at least as far as the body-movement affected the LEDs. (However, the music component of the SoniColumn and the music-box metaphor went beyond my more limited thinking.) I felt there was an element of serendipity at play in making this discovery.

SoniColumn has two modes of interaction: first, is "the setup," where you're up close to the work and enabling the sound and the light. The second is when you step away to the crank handle and play the music box. In this mode, the sounds played are based on the setup, and they slowly attenuate as the music is played out.

One of the things I constantly wrestle with (in my mind) regarding New Media is: Where do you draw the line between science project and artistic expression? Maybe this comes from my scientific background. I have no formal training in art, only the experienced lived plus some books I've read over the years. SoniColumn helps define for me an artistic expression in New Media, and I think that comes from the idea and use of metaphor. To start with an idea, a concept, a metaphor, and then shape the technology to fit the idea. That is the process. The technology is secondary. Like many, I can get caught up in the pure gadgetry of technology and that sometimes provides enough fascination, but that alone can't be art. Can it?

Or maybe the difference is purely cultural. Koreans have an expression they use for things which achieve excellence: "Now that is art!" This expression would be as easily applied to a well played winning goal in soccer as it might to a modern architectural achievement. The idea, I believe, is that art is excellence, in any of its forms. Then why not apply it to excellence in technology? Loaded with this definition, I am back to my science project vs artistic expression question, and I continue to ponder the boundary between the two.

Caroline's Final project

Continue reading "Caroline's Final project" »

Artist Presentation Documentation

Documentation relating to my presentation of Mark Hauenstein.

Continue reading "Artist Presentation Documentation" »

PROTOTYPE:
FIINAL GOAL: to make the depression of a pillow trigger nightmarish effects. I hoped for the final project to have a very appeasing and comfortable bed (the day bed with the hearts from my youth) with cozy blankets and stuffed animals. Basically, I want the bed to look very innocent and inviting, but in contrast when people lie down on it the mood of the setting would change to a nightmare. It is kind of an experiment, similar to what I try to achieve in my paintings, playing with control of people's emotions.

PROTOTYPE: focus on getting a pillow, when depressed to make a red light blink
In the beginning I stacked two pillows with tinfoil layers on the surfaces that touched each other. I used rolled up cloth to give some spring in-between the two layers, but this did not guarantee that when pressure was not applied on the pillow that the blinking light would cease. I can arch the smaller pillow by setting it's cloth walls inside those of the larger pillow but this means it needs to be reset every time.

Continue reading "" »

Tom Hagler's MIDI Sculpture

Title = "MIDI Sculpture F"

For this interactive touch-sensing project I aimed to create a piece that would allegorize a juxtaposition of humanity with nature. I choose to use audio as my main output and variable resistance sensors for input.

Video, Pics, Mp3's, and Code are on the Extended Entry...

Continue reading "Tom Hagler's MIDI Sculpture" »

Final Project Documentation

Documentation on my final project, involving wiimotes and custom software.

Continue reading "Final Project Documentation" »

Final Project

The Untitled Box
IMG_0166.JPG

For this piece I wanted to try to accomplish as much as I could by using (exploiting) the various resources I had available. In this piece, I pushed the limits of my limited knowledge (and then some), to create a unique experience that incorporated interactivity and sound. As this project progressed I incorporated visuals into this piece as well.

finale Picture 1.png

In this piece there are several buttons and switches, and corresponding to each button and switch there is a unique sound and visual embodied. When you press a button or flip a switch you are able to experience that sound and view the visual projected on a screen. If you release the button the sound will stop and the visual will disappear and reset itself. The longer you hold a button down, the more complete your experience will be. Once the sound and visual end it will start over.

IMG_0168.JPG IMG_0167.JPG

final Picture 1.pngMax MSP Patch

final Picture 3.png

Video

I'm not sure if there is anything I would change about this piece. Rather there aspects I would refine and/or modify. The unique thing about this piece, is that there is the actual unit will remain the same, but the media in which one applies has the ability to change. Thus this piece has the ability to always be in flux and adapting. So, this piece as it was will forever be as it was in that moment. And if I chose to exhibit that experience again I will have that ability. But I also have the ability to exhibit different incarnations of this piece that will be unique to each new situation. So if I were to change anything it would create an entirely new piece to be experienced.

Please leave comments and suggestions. They will be much appreciated!

Chris Sugrue

Continue reading "Chris Sugrue" »

Final: Pig

My vision
for this piece was to stimulate movement of a sculptural object based on the presence of a visitor in a gallery setting. Late in September, I decided on a large fabric pig as the sculptural object. I wanted the movement to either respond as a breathing or rocking motion. To accomplish this reaction, I used a PING))) Ultrasonic Distance Sensor (#28015). This sensor accurately detects distance measurements from about 3 centimeters to 3 meters. I wrote a program to respond to the data received by the sensor to start, stop, and vary the speed of a DC 9V-24V motor.

Click the link for the extended documentation including: concept, extended text pertaining to the sculptural and technology processes, photographs, video, project components, and code. Enjoy! ~Jessica

P1.jpg

Continue reading "Final: Pig" »

Final Project: Wind

Concept:

Creating something seemingly organic out of mechanism is part of my fascination. I had a vision of a field of grass (or possibly reeds or bamboo) which could sway "in the wind" in reaction to passers-by. It is an image of the wind blowing across a field, where radio-frequency signal strength replaces the wind, mechanism replaces the sense of flow across the grass. Often you see someone carrying or wearing a bluetooth-enabled device, but not everyone. This is the source of the wind I wanted to make, to have the field react to some people but not others. In this, I depict the "haves" as opposed to the "have-nots," thereby also making a statement about class differences.

demo-3.jpg

Continue reading "Final Project: Wind" »