« Ephemeral Graffiti | Main | Touch Project Documentation »

Open source Max/MSP alternatives

PD is available from puredata.info - it looks like it is designed and written by the same person who originally designed Max. This looks to be the closest thing to Max, but I have no idea (yet) how much Jitter-like functionality might be there.

Another free package with an audio focus is Supercollider, available at supercollider.sourceforge.net

And of course Ben mentioned Processing, which is found at www.processing.org

Pure Data (Pd) is very cool if you have the chops to deal with it. In my experience its documentation is horrible so it quickly becomes frustrating trying to deal with it. PD is to Max/MSP what Linux is to Windows circa 1998: the only people bothering with it are geeks and visionaries.

As far as I know, PD doesn't have a Jitter analog. I think it is assumed that if you can figure out PD then you can figure out how to deal with video by other means.