Recently in presentations Category

Sara Nichol presentation summary

When I presented my work in class, I focused on the shift my work has taken toward more involved conceptual processes in each art object and away from simply photography. I also discussed ideas for future projects which I hope to conduct out of my house using the domestic scene as a source for disturbance and performance.

Sara Nichol response to presenters

As I review the speakers that we've heard this semester, the ones that I continue to be inspired by were Carl Flink and Jane Blocker. I work with Prof. Blocker quite a bit and respect her very critical approach to investigating the body and performance.

Carl Flink impressed me and inspired me to work collaboratively. I respect how he strives for specialization within his field, but challenges who and what that specialization can be used for. I appreciated his willingness to instruct us on the how he and his team conduct experiments and involved us in that process.

Tiffany's Presentation Summary

I am interested in writing music which involves graphic scores, elements derived from chance operations and artistic images, and biographical material. My presentation focused on several pieces:

Three Pieces for Tibetan Singing Bowls-

Probability and Possibility, for seven singing bowls and piano was
composed using a pitch set obtained through chance operations involving a
pack of playing cards.

Ritual, for seven singing bowls, played by a solo percussionist with
mallets, explores a mixture of very metrically constrained passages
contrasted with metrically free material. The chance element in this case is
pitch content, which is determined solely by the size of the singing bowls
chosen by the performer.

Depth, for seven singing bowls, piano four-hands, and string quartet,
utilizes a graphic score created based on the the depth and circumference of
a large singing bowl. Performers use coins, mallets, water, etc. to produce
semi-improvised sound material according the shapes represented on the
score.

Bud Herseth: A Biographical Collage for Trumpet and Piano is a piece
which melds musical and algorithmic elements important to Herseth's life to
create a dissonant, jazzy sort of piece.

Portraits of Anton Stadler, PEACE, and Panorama
are all pieces which explore the use of images to guide musical contour.

Für Sie ist der Krieg Aus and Immortality are excerpts from a
piece I wrote for film, tape, and a live chamber ensemble about my
grandfather's WWII experiences and ideas about his faith.

The ultimate goal of all of these works is to create pieces which are aesthetically successful both visually and aurally.

Anna's presentation

A Renga

cloth driven medium ship rolls
of sweet pastry over my tongue
delicate layers crisp and malt

drip drip spread. Disperse me
over delicate, crunchy, fragility

teetering stalagmites posted on their vigil
standing tall and narrow, silent and wise
ssss t' t' ding rrrrr

steady trills despite rain
patter patter thunderclap flash of light

somber waves lay seeds
of yellow grassy doors
perfumed by the scent of lawnmowers.

Presentation Reflection: Carl Flink

One of the most interesting aspects of The Moving Cell was the fact that it started as a way for dancers to illustrate the all ready understood chaos of a cell. Thus, it seemed that when the project was originally conceived it was going to be used as a pedagogical tool to help others (especially nonscientists) understand activities within the cell. Very quickly, however, Dave and Carl's collaboration moved from simply communicating ideas to testing theories. As Carl described it, The Moving Cell has become a way to create predictions made under a microscope at the human level. It was amazing to see how dance and cellular biology could come together and create valuable research.

On another note, it was also refreshing to partake in an exercise that was based on making an instantaneous decision. As humans, I feel we often spend a great deal of our time just thinking about the decision we haven't even made yet and trying to predict what the outcome might be. It was a nice change of pace to simply think about the body in relation to speed and split second choices.

-Teréz

Carl Flink Response

It was exciting to see a successful (academically) and mutually beneficial relationship between an artist and a scientist. A couple of thoughts that came out of this presentation for me:
1. Are dancers more in touch with physical manifestations of emotions and therefore less susceptible to psychological disorders that relate to pent-up emotions or aversion such as dissociative identity disorder? What research has been done in relation to dancers and their range of emotions/psychological states relative to that of the general population? It seems as though acting out violent movements, in spite of them not doing actual damage, would have significant impact on Carl's dancers.
2. If students in primary and secondary schools were to use dance as a mechanism for learning the way physical systems work (from biology to the function of a car engine) they might absorb the information in a more lasting way. Perhaps the learning-through-dance-movement technique could be studied and implemented. It certainly would be beneficial to get students moving around more during the school day. This also relates to what Carl said about conceptualizing movement. If we are only used to moving our fingers to give and receive information we will only think within these terms. If we expand our typical body use to broad gestures perhaps we will think more broadly as well...

more on labanotation

here is some imagery that i found relating to laban movement studies and labanotation. one addresses the issue of relating time by running the musical score up the side. enjoy!

rudolf-laban.jpeg

labanotation.gif

graph.jpg

cube.jpg

presentations

We will schedule a series of 10-15 minute presentations by each participant over the course of the next three weeks, February 14, 21, 29.

The intent of these presentation is to expand our collective understanding of each others interests and increase our awareness of the potential resources that may inform the collaborative projects that emerge this semester.

This is an opportunity to share your creative passions, your fluency with media and concepts central to your work, and how these relate to your interest in interdisciplinary media collaborations in general and those focused on the biological body in particular.

We have access to both Regis room W123 and the adjacent Installation and Performance Space. Let me know if you have a preferred space for your presentation and if there is anything that you may need - projector, computer, speakers, room to move, etc.

Presentations on February 14th:

Mary
Joey
Inez
Peter