Recently in sketches Category

Spectral analysis of yeast

The vertical is frequency (pitch) the horizontal is time.

Screen Shot 2012-02-28 at 11.05.41 AM.png

Sea Monkey Movements Part 3

Once again, the bottom of the image represents the top of the tank and the top of the image represents the bottom of the tank.

Some additional realizations are that you see less paths near the bottom of the image because the shadows of the sea monkeys are larger and move across the paper more quickly due to the proximity of the light source, and thus are harder to document.

The water is becoming more murky as time passes, thus the introduction of some green into the composition, and I wanted it to be more apparent that the sea monkeys are moving through a medium.

note002.jpg

Glass Koi Paths

glass_koi-stringer-1_web.jpg
glass_koi-stringer-2_web.jpg
The movement of three koi during two 15-second periods, depicted in bent glass stringers (2 mm thick cylinders of glass, bent using the heat of a candle flame).

Sea Monkey Movements

For a short period of time I observed the movements of Sea Monkeys in a small tank. Sea Monkeys are a hybrid species of brine shrimp called Artemia NYOS.

I used a flashlight to send light through the tank and I recorded the paths of their shadows. Because the light was passing through the tank at a downward diagonal, the bottom of the image represents the top of the tank and the top of the image represents the bottom of the tank, and the two flanking lines are the edges of the tank. Some paths become thinner as it moves toward the top of the image because the sea monkey traveled toward the bottom of the tank.Bio002.jpg