« Elisa Berry | Main | arduino sources »

Elisa Berry

What attracted you to this class? I love the idea of art as an alternative experience in a moment when experiences rather than objects are what are packaged and sold. I love the idea that we can use technology to enhance our interaction with material and community, when so often technology separates and alienates us from our bodies and spaces and other human beings.

What do you hope to learn?
My installations are about bodily interaction with space, material and ephemeral experience, and I'm hoping to incorporate movement and responsiveness within the work to create more explicitly reciprocal encounters between viewers and the work.

What comes to mind when you think about contemporary art? A lot exciting stuff, a lot of crap and confusion, attempts to deal with our cultural and philosophical context that are at times fascinating, at times muddled.

Who are some of your favorite artists or creative inspirations? Nathaniel Dorsky, Tara Donovan, Alyson Shotz, Olafur Eliasson, James Turrell, Trevor Nicholas, Mindy Shapero, Sarah Sze, Tim Hawkinson, Jantje Visscher, Judy Pfaff

What is your most memorable experience of art as it occurs to you at this moment? A 5 hour long screening of Nathaniel Dorsky films. They are non-narrative short films, consisting of an accumulation of meditations on moments of beauty, mundane experience, transcendence, movement and light.

What is your favorite form of technology and how do you use it? Video editing is the most fun.