« elizabeth furani + Haegue Yang | Main | Seven Misconceptions - Bryce Davidson »

History of the Interface - Bryce Davidson

The interface creates an opportunity for the viewer to influence it's sensory experience. For example the game Virtual Adventures, in which six players search together for the eggs of the Loch Ness monster, attracts athletic players. The interface creates a more physical experience in this case. For the less active viewer, the joystick becomes the tool that allows the viewer to influence its sensory experience. Whatever amount of influence the viewer has, the opportunity to influence the sensory experience is there as a result of the interface. I think this attracts to the ego desire to 'have control' or to play god. It's also a more direct way of feeling connected to a piece of art work.

I see the future modes of interaction attracting this desire to control the things that we think we can't. there's an attraction, at least for me, to create experiences that I think I wouldn't be able to create in the 'real world'. I see a program that would allow one to choose an environment (like maybe the Cayman Islands) or some beautiful destination, and allow the viewer to travel around in that space. There would be different modes of transportation, perhaps driving in a dreamy sports car. The movements would initiate the movements in the environment. To an extreme, it would be fun to run around with a bunch of virtual dinosaurs. Maybe a rotating, rolling floor could create an opportunity for the viewer to move in any direction, allowing them to move around the environment in any way they please. That would be pretty fun.