« elizabeth furani + know how | Main | Jane Powers »

Jane Powers

What attracted you to this class? Desire to develop/make more interactive sculptures/installations.

What do you hope to learn? Would like to broaden my thinking of interactivity in art works, that is, go beyond "stimulus/response" as in a motion sensor triggering some action. Would like to become proficient in programming the Arduino.

What comes to mind when you think about contemporary art? It seems to me that contemporary art, in some ways, has moved from the material, context and concept to surface, decoration and kitch/camp.

Who are some of your favorite artists or creative inspirations? Favorite artists include, Joseph Beuys, Rebecca Horn, Ann Hamilton, Bill Viola, Mona Hatoum, Mathew Barney, Mel Chin, Ronda Pondick, Krystoff Wodiczko, Adrian Piper, Isamu Noguchi, Robert Irwin, Eduardo Kac and Sabrina Raaf.

What is your most memorable experience of art as it occurs to you at this moment? Stepping, for the first time, into an Ann Hamilton installation in a New York gallery. All my senses were engaged: the destabilizing feeling walking on a floor strewn with tied shirts (? or maybe just cloth), smell of honey sweet dough, subtle voice from inside a wall, my eyes accommodating to a darkened space making sense of a table with a person methodically repeating a simple action situated in front of a wall of folded shirts.

What is your favorite form of technology and how do you use it. I have dabbled (with tech assist) with embedding sound and video in sculpture/installation pieces, and using a microcontroller to control a motion sensor and LEDs. Low-tech, have been working with cast metal, resin and wax.