« Robin Schwartzman | Main | arduino »

Matt Wenger - Interests

What attracted you to this class?
As a graphic designer it's important for me to keep up with new media, so of course, I was instantly drawn to this class. I've enjoyed working with video and I've been trying to combine my graphic design work with video work, to create "movable design". I'm really interested in learning about interactivity and applying that to my other areas if interest. I'm really excited about pushing my designs skills with new and different mediums and techniques.

What do you hope to learn?
I have a few project ideas in mind that I really want to work, so I hope I can learn what I need to in order to make that happen. But more generally, I'm really looking to learn more about different types of media to convey messages, and how to use the media effectively. Anything interactive is new and exciting to me.

What comes to mind when you think about contemporary art?
A lot of things come to mind, which is to say that nowadays art can be almost anything. It's no longer just paintings and photographs and sculptures that are considered art. There is so many areas where things can be art. One area specifically that I think when I hear contemporary art is video art, or more so technical stuff. Technology really pushes what can be seen between an artist and the public/audience.

Who are some of your favorite artists or creative inspirations?
Stefan Sagmeister is a "rockstar" graphic designer, one of the most famous designers in the industry today, who is definitely a huge creative inspiration for me. Michel Gondry amazes me, his films and his video work with commercials and shorts are really inspiring. Films really inspire me, I could watch a classic masterpiece or I could watch a horrible movie and there could be just one little split second of something happening in the frame or a certain shot that sparks some creative inspiration for me. Music is, of course, an inspiration with too many artists to name. I also really enjoy tangible things, food items with good packaging design, food in general is really interesting, a music or movie poster, books, found objects, etc.

What is your most memorable experience of art as it occurs to you at this moment?
Seeing Olafur Eliasson's exhibit at the MoMA last summer. Amazing light works!

Favorite form of technology?
Without a doubt, a mac computer. I use my laptop for everything. Creating graphics, layouts, fonts, animations, video's, you get it.