« Bryce Davidson - Tilt Sensor | Main | It's Chris O'Shea! »

Heart Beat Arduino Project

Heart Beat Arduino Project.JPG

Heart Beat Arduino Project

Before I detail my outline for the "touch" sensor project let me start off by saying that prior to my breakthrough - and when I say breakthrough, I mean my escape from an unrelenting creative block - I was in a state of utter panic and anxiety. I was walking home from work, contemplating the inactivity of my brain to develop coherent and interesting ideas, when I finally told myself to breath in order to calm down. During this time, I heard an inner noise that is common under such stress; it was the beating of my heart, fast and agitated like my state of mind. Then I thought, "Wow, I wish there were a sensor to pick up this sort of human activity." Immediately I answered this ridiculous thought with an obvious solution - a stethoscope! I know, amazing right? This brought on a myriad of ideas all flowing into the idea of the heartbeat which is the basis of my project and which I will outline as my project.

As of course, as you might guess, this project is not compatible with a touch sensor, or at least not to my knowledge, but my excuse for this is simple even if it might be inadequate. When I have a creative road block and I find an exit out of it, I will take that exit rather than stay in the traffic jam. That means moving from touch sensor to sound sensor. My project at this point is rough, but relatively simple in theory. Use an electronic device that monitors heart rate and hook it up to the arduino, then use the arduino to communicate that signal to a sound program - I am thinking garage band just because it is probably the most basic to start out with. The sound picked up from the monitor/sensor/whatever will register into garage band and the sound will be projected in the form of a random musical instrument. In the beginning the choice of instrument will probably be hand picked - timpani, synth, etc etc - but later on I hope to translate the heart beat activity to signal a different instrument based on the intensity of the heart beat itself. For example, a fast weak heart beat would be translated as a snare; a slow strong heart beat as a gong etc. etc. Of course, I would experiment to see what instruments and effects would yield more interesting sound variations. To later expand on this project, multiple stations could be set up in different settings, maybe one in dark room and one in a lighted room to see if the setting will affect the results.

Anyway, that is my project proposal; hopefully I can make it work.

-Mike Ballard

Heart Beat Arduino Projec Diagram.doc