« Concept Project | Main | connecting a 12V relay to the Arduino »

History of the Interface

>> The QUESTION:

1) Describe an example of the role of story or the narrative in the history of the interface?
In the history of the interface based on this article we see the story evolve from being a more centralized aspect of the interface to becoming less and inherent. Early computer games being a text that you interact with, then you get into side scrollers which still carry some story. The interface seems to follow with this pattern. As the technology improved throughout the years the crutch of the story to support this art has become less and less a necessity. I would say the lack of a story in most interactive pieces, or in art in general is what makes it art. A picture book for children is a story. A painting in a museum can tell a story, but it isn't necessarily a story on its own. I think the same goes for the interface.

3) What future modes of interaction can you imagine?
I didnt think anything of this until today, but I was at the airport this summer and projected onto the wall was an advertisement that had leaves, and when someone would move around the person. I was actually amazed by how many people didnt seem to notice, or didn't care. I see commercial media adopting these technologies. The modes of interaction that art will adopt is just going to have to be more provocative. I could see things that people have to punch, scream, kick to activate. Maybe installations that have very different reactions for different people. Some might be able to recognize certain individuals after 5 years when they come back to see it. Maybe crying would be an interaction. There are so many possibilities open to the future.