« Final Project - Ardrumo - Nick Gentle | Main | Final Project »

FINAL Blinky Glove - Bryce Davidson

It was quite a journey with the Lilypad Arduino, but it worked out in the end. I really learned a lot. I was happy to have learned how to use conductive thread, program pins, work with powering the Lilypad, and physical construction. Here is the pictorial/video history of my project's progress...

Movie 70.mov
Movie 75.mov
GlovePrototype.jpg
Movie 114.mov

and the Code

int ledPin = 10; // LED connected to digital pin 13

// The setup() method runs once, when the sketch starts

void setup() {
// initialize the digital pin as an output:
pinMode(ledPin, OUTPUT);
}

// the loop() method runs over and over again,
// as long as the Arduino has power

void loop()
{
digitalWrite(ledPin, HIGH); // set the LED on
delay(80); // wait for a second
digitalWrite(ledPin, LOW); // set the LED off
delay(80); // wait for a second
}

I am still waiting on the download of the video footage of my performance with the blinky Lilypad glove, but for now, I think it really worked out how I wanted it too. I had hoped to understand the button switch, but I was still able to accomplish what I wanted to with my project which was an interaction between the digital world and the physical world. This is what I really understood Interactive art to be in its essence.

To break down the concept of my performance, I started with the idea of seeing light interact with movement. I wanted to make a complete body suit full of lights and then do a dance performance in it. My first thought was to power this suit with an accelerometer, so that the amount of light was dependant on the amount of movement. I came to realize that my understanding of the arduino and all of its elements would have to grow quite a bit more to realize this idea. But it was for the best when I started to think about the CONTEXT of this idea. Why was I spinning around with lights on my body? Why was I breakdancing? What was this idea about? As I explored this idea, I came to the realization that I wanted to create a story. I wanted to display something that had a pace. A piece that had a beginning, middle and end. I also liked the idea of opposites and extremes. Through this exploration of context and story line, I decided on creating a piece that had an interaction between an animated character and myself as the viewer. In my final performance, the character very slowly approaches a paperclip, a light socket and eventually after a long, drawn out process, the relationship between the two objects interaction. As soon as they connect, he is wildly electrocuted and sent out into the physical world, into my hand (represented by the blinking glove). At this point I explode into dance. The performance is ended abruptly when the character shoots out of my hand and back onto screen. The end. The intention of the piece was to represent a pace of excruciatingly slow build-up and waiting, followed by extreme energy and speed, and an abrupt end. I also wanted to create a representation of a viewer being forced into an imaginary digital character's experience. I think I was able to accomplish this in my piece and I am very happy with the final product. I will post the video as soon as it is downloaded...
-Bryce

Here is an excerpt of my performance
http://mediamill.cla.umn.edu/mediamill/embed.php?subclip_id=795&live=true

Here is the clip of my performance:

bryceinteractivesmall.mov