« Interactive Tree | Main | Analogue Image Project »

Robin Schwartzman-Final Project

The Lonely Tree is an interactive installation that invites people to kick off their shoes and step off of the concrete to enjoy a picnic lunch under the shade of an apple tree. Once one enters into this world, there are many surprises in store. Please watch the following video for complete documentation.

This piece was made using three Arduinos- two WaveShields and one Motor Shield. To make the flowers and clovers talk, I set up a system of circuits to be connected. When the bottom of each stem (which has a grounded piece of metal on it) makes contact with the underside of it's bush or dirt cluster (connected to separate analog pins), it connects the circuit, thus triggering the sound. The following is the coding I used to make the flowers and clovers talk: flowersigotit.cpp
And here is the code I used to make the tree talk when one steps onto the blanket: treesounds.cpp The blanket works in the same manner as the flowers and clovers-the underside of the blanket is connected to an analog input pin. Then there is a layer of foam squares separating the positive from grounded metal underneath. When one steps on the foam, it connects the positive and negative, thus connecting the circuit and making the tree talk.
Lastly, the following is the code I used to activate the Motorshield. I wired a Ping ultrasonic sensor up to the motorshield so that the eyes would blink at different rates according to a range of motions based off of sound. blinkyeyes.cpp

I consider the piece in its current state a working prototype for a bigger, better, more durable version to come in the near future. Keep your eyes peeled!