Julia Masvernat

Masvernat is an Argentinian artist, born 1973 in buenos aires. She works as a visual artist and graphic designer. Her work is developed through various medias and techniques: wooden objects, cutout paper installation, shadow projections, interactive audiovisual games, web platforms. The intimate relationship with the materials and their transformations (of form and meaning) is a recurring theme in her projects. She has exposed works in various individual and group shows (C.C.R.Rojas, C.C. Recoleta, CCEBA, arteBA, VideoBrasil, Fundación Telefónica, Fundación PROA, Galería BM). She is a university professor in electronic art and gives a youth-oriented workshop in visual arts. She's now working for a Non Governmental Organization teaching kids from a poor neighbourhood.

"What I like to do is take one thing and turn it into another, with few resources, like a transformation action. The idea is to put all of this in context: the city, the country, what is going on around us"

Ten years ago she started working for one of the most important argentine newspapers, and discovered the Internet. She worked on design and other products. "It's all about experience and perception: colours, sounds, I like people to get inside my work and participate in it."

Camille Utterback

textrain_hands.jpg

Camille Utterback's early work - 1999, Text Rain [with Romy Achituv] introduced the interactive concept and playful aesthetic that informs the "tree" projection now active at MSP airport.

Camille has a new work installed in St Louis Park ... perhaps a future field trip and conversation with curator Steve Dietz?

3889270955_a6a0f0e6ba.jpg

Congratulations to Camille who is now a MacArthur Fellow.

Jim Campbell

Jim Campbell's body of work explores the expressive potential of image making with LEDs.

LEChurch1.jpg

He describes this image as a "A matrix of 32 x 24 (768) pixels made out of red LEDs displaying a pedestrian and auto traffic scene in NY from an off street perspective. There is a sheet of diffusing plexiglass angled in front of the grid. As the pedestrians move from left to right the figures gradually go from a discrete representation to a continuous one (or metaphorically from a digital representation to an analog one)."

Sonicolumn

Jin-You Mok's Sonicolumn mimics a music box, using touch sensitive led's that emit tones when touched.sonicolumn.jpg

Ned Kahn

Ned Kahn is inspired by the forms and forces of natural phenomena. Many of his works are atmospheric.

His early work, smoke rings uses a whole body touch interface - a large rubber membrane that you press to create delicate, drifting, smoke rings.

SmokeRing.gif

Amy Youngs

We discussed Amy Youngs work, including work that includes living animals such as Cricket Call, Rearming the Spineless Opuntia, and Intraterrestrial Soundings as well as Why Look at Animals?, Digestive Table, and Farm Fountain.

Kelly Dobson

We discussed Kelly Dobson's work with machines as companion species and watched her documentation of Blendie and ScreamBody.

Haegue Yang

I was glad to be able to visit the Walker on Thursday to attend the artist's talk and experience the installation work. I was most affected by a few elements. The wind created by fans was powerful because it brought my other senses directly into the experience, breaking the intensity of many visual aspects. I was also impressed by the paper relief sculptures on the wall, because of the way they altered my depth perception with such simple angular variations. The placement of these pieces was what made it for me, with the view out the window leading ones eye along the length of the wall and creating a jolt of misperception with each one. There was a lot of contrast between different pieces, and things seemed not to relate to each other. It seemed as though this could be intentional, creating confusion as sort of a theme.

Were your ideas formed in response to the space at the Walker, or were they preconceived?

Are things like the paper reliefs just spontaneous ideas, or do they reflect on certain aspects of society...or something else?

Do you want people to understand where your ideas come from...or not?

It was interesting to hear the artist and curator talking, mostly to see and hear firsthand what a working/professional relationship is like in the art world. Hearing about the line that is drawn between them becoming "truly friends" made me think about the complexity of trying to live as an artist, in reality. I would like to know more about the exhibit in abandoned house in Seoul. This seems like a mix between public and private art and its interesting to me.

Haegue Yang

Thursday's class is focus on the work of Haegue Yang, the opening of her installation at the Walker Art Center and her talk at 7pm.

haegueYang.jpg