Tilt Active Sketch

Tyler Williams- For this assignment, i used the tilt sensor to create a narrative between two action figures and the audience. I strapped the tilt sensor to an action figure that i dressed like a "terrorist" from Guantanamo bay and i had a Captian America action figure standing at a station that two LED's were attached to. I was only able to make one of the LED's turn on so I attached that one to lie. When the terrorist head was dipped into water then the LED would indicate that he was lying. In this way the terrorist had no way of telling the truth and thus would be kept in Guantanamo Bay forever. I had Captian America tell the audience (which were children since they were action figures) to help him by torturing the terrorist. This way i symbolically put the audience in the awkward position of a soldier at Guantanamo bay that is taking orders to torture an individual. I also wanted the set up to feel like a commercial action figures that targets children. This is to relate how we as the United States act towards our "enemies" and how we are training our children to do the same thing with the toy bad guys that they play with.

Tilt Sensor

I'm very proud of myself not only for getting the tilt sensor to work, but also to get it to make the light blink. Slowly, slowly, the snail climbs mount fuji.

Photo 7.jpg
Photo 6.jpg
Photo 12.jpg

Tilt Sensor Exploration - Nick Gentle

Photo on 2009-10-15 at 15.17.jpg

Photo on 2009-10-15 at 15.17 #2.jpg

My exploration with the tilt sensor was pretty basic in terms of what I made it do. I essentially just twist-tied the breadboard to the protoshield and arduino, then wired it the specifications I found on a website (I'll post the link/code below), pasted the code, and played with it. Basically, when the arduino/tilt sensor was upright, the LED was off. Then, when you turned it upside down, or at least until the ball in the tilt sensor moved, the LED turned on. Simple but groundbreaking. It was fun..

http://www.ladyada.net/learn/sensors/tilt.html
If you scroll down in the link, you'll find some decent diagrams on how to wire the board and there is a code at the way bottom that you can literally paste in the Arduino program.

tilt

Document and Post your exploration with the tilt sensor as an INput to the arduino and an LED, speaker, etc. as an OUTput.

This is an opportunity to review the a circuit that includes an on/off digital switch/sensor which in this case is the tilt sensor, and an LED or another OUTput which responds to this INput.

Feel free to use the small tilt sensor as an inspiration to make your own tilt sensor - you can change its scale, form, and material presence in the process.

Tilt Sensor LED Control

Tilt sensor is used to switch LED on and off.