Active Sketch #1

For this activity I decided to use a single color and explore its emotive and thematic elements, as well as articulate a simple concept for the interactive potential within a mixed media framework.

My design involved a clear plastic cylinder draped with a simple trace paper sketch. The green led was inside the cylinder shining through, illuminating the scene. A simple alteration in rhythm was meant to mimic the rhythms of nature.
co_active_sketch.jpg

Elisa Berry - Active Sketch

DSC00036.jpg

This is my attempt at altering the experience of a cloud made of plastic bags by changing the colors and duration of leds illuminating the interior of the sculpture. It would be interesting to use the duration and slow accumulation of intensity through light (mediated by material which creates an immersive space for the viewer in order to deal with themes of the relationship between light, blindness, sight, mystical illumination and emptiness.

eLight, System_OK

IMG_0009.JPG

The intent of this project was to create an interface that would simulate a system power up/down cycle. LEDs are used as a vehicle for communication between the system and user.

The numeral display contains 7 LEDs. By wiring each LED to a separate pin I was able to produce patterns to display digits 0-9.

IMG_0014.JPG

E light not so light

The e-light project became how to make the light very heavy and intense. I started with the intensity of the regular flashing led, then the alternating flashing, and saw the intense potentiality. The next step was to enhance this, and did some experiments to develop the most intense experience. I found that using two separate would create the most intense experience for each eye, and overall most intense experience. The program was slightly modified version of the analog control given in the examples. If I were to set this up in a more public manner, I would have the lights flashing seductively, and the slow as people engaged them. Then it would go full intensity. led sketch.gif
led sketch.gif

Active Sketch - Alec Rippberger

Active Sketch.jpg

I would like to use light and sound with some type of sonar. What I would like to do is to create a semi-transparent sculpture of a heart. Within the heart there will be red LEDs which will blink in a "heart" rhythm, along with speakers that will produce synchronized "heart" sound. A sonar sensor will detect how close a viewer is to the heart and the arduino will speed up the rate of flashing and thumping as the viewer gets closer.

eLight Active Sketch - Alec Rippberger

For my LED project I created a complicated series of circuits that allowed seven LED lights to flash in what some call a "nightrider" pattern. The led light would flash from left to right and back to the left side again. I then used my DSLR to take several long long exposures. After playing with the lighting, using a piece of white paper to reflect the LEDS, I was able to capture the following image.

eLight Project

PIC_0190.JPG

PIC_0191.JPG

PIC_0192.JPG

For my eLight sketch/project, I experimented with the LEDs' color and rhythm aspects. Using red, green, and blue LEDs and making them operate together in a line, I achieved, what appears to be, a "Police siren/strobe" depiction. It the pattern of the LEDs and the chosen colors seemed to scream "Police!" when I was experimenting with the timing. The sequence almost gives the illusion that there is a rotating siren/light as in a real Police car. So, I ran with the idea and built a very rudimentary cardboard representation of a Police car....out of a DiGiorno's pizza box. However, it served it's purpose and achieved the idea that the LEDs were a representation of a Police strobe light/siren.

I attached the breadboard to the Arduino with a twist tie....so I was being resourceful I suppose.

-Nick Gentle

Matt Wenger - Active Sketch

active_sketch.jpg

Robin Schwartzman

For Tues. class I prepared two experiments. The first was using a red LED with timed intervals to create a sense of excitement by building up the beats from slower to faster. I placed the light inside a handmade paper ice cream cone as a means of pushing the idea of temptation or excitement.
icecreamled.jpg
Here was the coding I used:
redexcitement.pde

For my second experiment, I simply played around with the combination of colored light to create ever changing colors in rainbow order. I wrapped some tissue paper around the LEDs to help disperse the light.
red.jpg green.jpgteal.jpgblue.jpgpurple.jpg
Here is the coding for it:
Rainbow.pde

9/15 eLight: jane powers: Fluffy

I began thinking about making an e-kaleidoscope. At a fabric store I discovered some colorful soft socks and putting my hand inside to check out how stretchy they were, saw the possibility for a puppet and that lead me to think about a soft snuggly toy. Below is documentation of phase one prototype. The form is basically complete and the software cycles through 6 light colors: red, yellow, green, turquioise, blue and violet. I'm now modifying the code to use the light to give the toy, named Fluffy (by my young friend in the photo below), a "personality" or at least set a mood.

Sol examining Fluffy.jpg

Sol feet hold.jpg

/*
Blink

int redPin = 12; // red LED connected to digital pin 12
int greenPin = 11; // green LED connected to digital pin 11
int bluePin = 10; // blue LED connected to digital pin 10

// The setup() method runs once, when the sketch starts

void setup() {
// initialize the digital pin as an output:
pinMode(redPin, OUTPUT); //sets the digital pin as output
pinMode(greenPin, OUTPUT); //sets the digital pin as output

pinMode(bluePin, OUTPUT); //sets the digital pin as output
}

// the loop() method runs over and over again,
// as long as the Arduino has power

void loop()
{
// red on & off
digitalWrite(redPin, HIGH); // sets the red LED on
delay(500); // waits for a half second
digitalWrite(redPin, LOW); // sets the red LED off
delay(500);
// yellow on & off
digitalWrite(greenPin, HIGH); //sets the green LED on
delay(500);
digitalWrite(greenPin, LOW); //sets the green LED off
// green on & off
delay(500);
delay(500);
// turquioise on & off
digitalWrite(bluePin, HIGH); //sets the blue LED on
delay(500); // waits for a half second
digitalWrite(bluePin, LOW); //sets the blue LED off
delay(500); // waits for a half second
// blue on & off
delay(500);
delay(500);
// violet on & off
delay(500);
delay(500);

Bryce Davidson **E-light "Sketch"

I was happy to have figured out the relationship between positive and negative current and what it meant to have a 'base' as well as 'power' source on the Arduino. I have to say, I feel quite a bit more comfortable with the process of making LED's blink.

In class, I spent a good amount of time figuring out how to make multiple LED's blink, and how to do it. I think I have a lot better understanding of how the programming side works now. It was all very confusing at first but now it seems quite a bit more simple. I know I have a lot more to learn, but I feel quite a bit more proficient.

For my E-light "sketch", I thought a lot about how the pace of blinking on the LED's affected my emotional state. I thought about how hypnotic the lights could be. I noticed that when I looked at the blue LED, It seemed to be calming. When the red LED flashed, it made me think of rage or anger or intense emotions.

To put these ideas into affect in my "sketch". I took an old mask that I had used years ago for halloween and placed the Arduino inside, so that the two LED's that I programmed (one blue, one red) would appear in the eye hole. ideally, I would have two breadboards and two blue and two reds to fill each eye, but unfortunately, I don't have those resources yet.

I programmed the two LED's so that the blue would hold constant, drawing the viewer in and encouraging the viewer to stare hypnotically into the bright blue eye. The timing is set so that as soon as the viewer becomes enthralled with the constant blue, the red LED suddenly begins blinking at a rapid pace. This is meant to surprise and shock the viewer.

It took a while to figure out what pace worked the best for each light in order to carry out my mission. I enjoyed messing with the programming side and experimenting with different numbers of HIGH's and LOW's of the on/off delays. It is interesting how much the experience changes based on how fast or slow a light blinks. With enough experimentation, I found a pace that I fancied. Prepare to be mesmerized!

Tyler Williams

In class on tuesday i was experimenting and learning about how to set up a circuit to light up an LED. I was able to create a series of LED's light up and i spent the rest of class trying to make the colors change from red to pink to purple to blue. It was a great deal of fun yet very challenging and I hope that i can convert this process into a more substantial project.

Tyler WIlliams

e(motional) Light

Use the arduino tutorials authored by Limor fried on the Ladyada site to get to know the arduino, the software that you will use to design behaviors, and the leds that are part of your getting started kit.

Refer to the:

• Intro

• Starting

• Lession #1, #2, and #3

Using this guide to the arduino and leds, create an eLight light that communicates a "state of being" using the expressive vocabulary of steady light, blinking light and colored light.

Add to this a physical dimension that enhances the experience of this "state of being", making tangible the affective or emotional experience of this eLight.

BreathingSpace.jpg