Reflections of Seven

I guess I felt mixed feelings most about the differences between art and video games, and that Hutamo was relatively quick to dismiss games as not being art, I would say much of the appeal of the game is how it feels, what emotions it brings, despite the great degree of interactivity each game carries its own emotion context. I would definitely be more for bridging this gap, rather than trying to make distinctions and drawing lines. Another aspect of this essay, is the technological perspective. With our daily lives becoming more and more stimulating I would say that its only natural that art should keep pace. Interactive visual and audio experiences have become much more integral in our daily lives that going to a gallery and not being able to interact would be so under stimulating. When you think about how cave paintings compare to the lives of cavemen, the art that we have today has hardly kept pace.

Elisa Berry - Seven Misconceptions

Seven Misconceptions:

I resonate with the criticisms that interactive art can be gimmicky. As a not-new phenomenon, interactive art can be beyond gimmicks. The interactivity itself should not be the subject of a work, but should be used in service to the conceptual and formal aims of the artist. Interactive art can help us reflect in ever new ways on the meaning of our experience.
I also resonate with the critique that interactive art replaces real human-to-human interactivity with individual-to-machine. While interactive technology such as facebook or youtube have in some ways subverted and damaged real human material interactions, there are other ways in which those tools have facilitated human interaction - by connecting people, for one thing, as well as by helping people interact by sharing information with one another. Works of art in museums are often meant to be contemplated and experienced by individual viewers. Thinking and experiencing done individually is a necessary part of human existence. Interactive art can remind us that personal experiences of art cab be moments of reciprocal communication between the viewer and the art. Artwork should also remind the viewer that she is not experiencing art outside of the particularity of an historical context. The work is situated within a network of texts and events. In what way can interactive art continue to remind the individual or collective viewer(s) that neither it nor they exist autonomously, outside of history?

Elisa Berry - Interface History Reflections

Question #2:

Some of my favorite pieces were by Christa Sommerer and Laurent Mignonneau. As in most of the works described in this article, the narratives that develop in their work are influenced by viewers interacting with the work, and are partly determined randomly through the autonomous activity of the interactive elements. When certain actions are performed by the viewers, certain outcomes happen. While the viewer can always control his or her motions and learn which actions will cause which reactions, the actions themselves are prescribed and fall within a certain range. Thus, in A-Volve, viewers design the characters in the narrative that plays itself out in an interactive environment, and can make them move and interact. The interface is a table covered with water over an interactive screen. Viewers can make their characters move with their hands. At the same time, the characters have some of their own autonomy. So, the narrative of the piece remains unfixed as well as uncontrolled.

I love the pieces by Sommerer and Mignonneau in which the viewer becomes a part of the projection in front of her, changing and interacting with it through her movement.

Question #3:

A few ideas:
A sculpture, of a tree, for example, which moves in imitation of the movements of the viewer. Or it could simply interact with the viewer as if it, too, were an autonomous agent interacting with the world. Many different trees have many different responses to many different people.

The viewer makes the sculpture of the tree move and the video in front of it moves in response.

reflections

Periodically there will be readings, exhibition visits, artist talks, and other timely experiences or questions that arise that will be the spark for a reflection that you will be asked to post in this section of our blog.