Jane Powers

What attracted you to this class? Desire to develop/make more interactive sculptures/installations.

What do you hope to learn? Would like to broaden my thinking of interactivity in art works, that is, go beyond "stimulus/response" as in a motion sensor triggering some action. Would like to become proficient in programming the Arduino.

What comes to mind when you think about contemporary art? It seems to me that contemporary art, in some ways, has moved from the material, context and concept to surface, decoration and kitch/camp.

Who are some of your favorite artists or creative inspirations? Favorite artists include, Joseph Beuys, Rebecca Horn, Ann Hamilton, Bill Viola, Mona Hatoum, Mathew Barney, Mel Chin, Ronda Pondick, Krystoff Wodiczko, Adrian Piper, Isamu Noguchi, Robert Irwin, Eduardo Kac and Sabrina Raaf.

What is your most memorable experience of art as it occurs to you at this moment? Stepping, for the first time, into an Ann Hamilton installation in a New York gallery. All my senses were engaged: the destabilizing feeling walking on a floor strewn with tied shirts (? or maybe just cloth), smell of honey sweet dough, subtle voice from inside a wall, my eyes accommodating to a darkened space making sense of a table with a person methodically repeating a simple action situated in front of a wall of folded shirts.

What is your favorite form of technology and how do you use it. I have dabbled (with tech assist) with embedding sound and video in sculpture/installation pieces, and using a microcontroller to control a motion sensor and LEDs. Low-tech, have been working with cast metal, resin and wax.

elizabeth furani + interests

What attracted you to this class?

my interest in this is art is to make the invisible visible and use electronic media, video, and other new genres to connect the viewer and make them an active part of each piece.

What do you hope to learn?

one of the main things i hope to take away from this class is building a portfolio of work that isn't just in manipulating media and doing video, but to connect the human aspect of thinking and acting to the work that i put out. also, i want to learn more about the practice and research that goes into it.

What comes to mind when you think about contemporary art?

the human condition, the personal, the public sphere. basically contemporary art, is a new way of using art to connect all ways of thinking whether through concepts or composition or both.

Who are some of your favorite artists or creative inspirations?

pipilotti rist, laurie anderson, bruce nauman, and george kuchar.

What is your most memorable experience of art as it occurs to you at this moment?

seeing matthew barney set up his cremaster cycle exhibition at the walker and being a part of the installation staff, although i don't really like his art on a whole its fun to see an artist be involved in their own installing.

What is your favorite form of technology and how do you use it?

video, computers (preferably mac os) and televisions, i even like to play with more analog, but for the most part i've gravitated almost strictly into video, my own body (i consider a technological element) and sound.

Carl Ostlund (INterests)

What attracted you to this class?
I am interested in how electronics pervade our environment more all the time, and finding ways to use this for the sake of creating art and interactive experiences.
What do you hope to learn?
I hope to learn new technical skills and think about the unique ways technology affects everydayexperience.
blending science and art. this is the kind of stuff that appeals to me.
I can't name any artists off the top of my head, at least none that I would consistently look to for inspiration. I often look at design magazines in the architecture library at school. I also draw inspiration from the urban environment, graffitti, railroads, buildings, infrastructure. I used to read a lot of sci-fi books when i was younger, which I draw inspiration froma s well.
Walking through the Walker Museum sculpture garden
Photoshop, possibly combined with scanning hand images. I really like images. I like to manipulate images, and photoshop allows precision and nearly infinite possibilites in terms of techniques and outcomes. the only drawbacks to me are that it has a high learning curve, also one must have access to a computer, which unfortunately not everyone does. I am always open to learning new technologies, and I like to combine them.

Bryce Davidson

What attracted you to this class?
I am interested in multi-media art. I like art that combines many mediums. I have a growing interest in how electronics and computers come into art. It seems like this class is something that would cover those things.
What do you hope to learn?
I want to leran more about electricity and energy
That I don't know too much.
my friend Reeve Schumacher. He is an artist in Miami. We went to high school together and inspired each other's art quite often. I also like the Czech artist Mucha.
When I created headspin art in my performance art class with Chris Larson. I didn't know I could really make art on my head. but it worked and the entire process was exhilarating.
I don't know if I have one yet. I guess TV plus DVD plus Huge Speakers plus Good Movie

Alec Rippberger - Interests

your interest in this course

What attracted you to this class?
I was attracted to this class because it helped fufill my minor reequirments.
What do you hope to learn?
I would like to learn about programming and electronics as well as something about my creative abilites.
I think about graphic design, likely because I'm exposed to it so often.
That's a difficult question... I'd have to say my friends are my greatest inspiration.
I was just looking at a book on the works of Banksy
My iPod Touch, best investment ever, until I get a smart phone at least. Internet everywhere.

Elisa Berry

What attracted you to this class? I love the idea of art as an alternative experience in a moment when experiences rather than objects are what are packaged and sold. I love the idea that we can use technology to enhance our interaction with material and community, when so often technology separates and alienates us from our bodies and spaces and other human beings.

What do you hope to learn?
My installations are about bodily interaction with space, material and ephemeral experience, and I'm hoping to incorporate movement and responsiveness within the work to create more explicitly reciprocal encounters between viewers and the work.

What comes to mind when you think about contemporary art? A lot exciting stuff, a lot of crap and confusion, attempts to deal with our cultural and philosophical context that are at times fascinating, at times muddled.

Who are some of your favorite artists or creative inspirations? Nathaniel Dorsky, Tara Donovan, Alyson Shotz, Olafur Eliasson, James Turrell, Trevor Nicholas, Mindy Shapero, Sarah Sze, Tim Hawkinson, Jantje Visscher, Judy Pfaff

What is your most memorable experience of art as it occurs to you at this moment? A 5 hour long screening of Nathaniel Dorsky films. They are non-narrative short films, consisting of an accumulation of meditations on moments of beauty, mundane experience, transcendence, movement and light.

What is your favorite form of technology and how do you use it? Video editing is the most fun.

Tyler Williams

What attracted me to this class- I have always been interested in the fine arts, primarily painting and drawing, however i have also grown interested in new media technologies and the way it is changing society. I thought that this class would be a great way to begin to bring these two interests together.

Justin Berken

What attracted you to this class?
I have always been interested in interactive media. Bringing interactive art to the physical world intrigued me.

What do you hope to learn? I hope to learn as much as possible about Adruino and its potential applications in architecture.

What comes to mind when you think about contemporary art? To me, contemporary art has no rules.

Who are some of your favorite artists or creative inspirations? I was very inspired by the Act React exhibit at he the MAM.

Art class in elementary school was my favorite hour of the week.

My favorite form of technology is the internet. It is a bottomless basin of free knowledge.

Matt Wenger - Interests

What attracted you to this class?
As a graphic designer it's important for me to keep up with new media, so of course, I was instantly drawn to this class. I've enjoyed working with video and I've been trying to combine my graphic design work with video work, to create "movable design". I'm really interested in learning about interactivity and applying that to my other areas if interest. I'm really excited about pushing my designs skills with new and different mediums and techniques.

What do you hope to learn?
I have a few project ideas in mind that I really want to work, so I hope I can learn what I need to in order to make that happen. But more generally, I'm really looking to learn more about different types of media to convey messages, and how to use the media effectively. Anything interactive is new and exciting to me.

A lot of things come to mind, which is to say that nowadays art can be almost anything. It's no longer just paintings and photographs and sculptures that are considered art. There is so many areas where things can be art. One area specifically that I think when I hear contemporary art is video art, or more so technical stuff. Technology really pushes what can be seen between an artist and the public/audience.

Stefan Sagmeister is a "rockstar" graphic designer, one of the most famous designers in the industry today, who is definitely a huge creative inspiration for me. Michel Gondry amazes me, his films and his video work with commercials and shorts are really inspiring. Films really inspire me, I could watch a classic masterpiece or I could watch a horrible movie and there could be just one little split second of something happening in the frame or a certain shot that sparks some creative inspiration for me. Music is, of course, an inspiration with too many artists to name. I also really enjoy tangible things, food items with good packaging design, food in general is really interesting, a music or movie poster, books, found objects, etc.

Seeing Olafur Eliasson's exhibit at the MoMA last summer. Amazing light works!

Favorite form of technology?
Without a doubt, a mac computer. I use my laptop for everything. Creating graphics, layouts, fonts, animations, video's, you get it.

Robin Schwartzman

What attracted you to this class? I've wanted to advance some of my sculptural and installation works into being much for interactive. My interest is in transforming a space and encouraging a viewer to participate and play within it.

What do you hope to learn? I hope to learn some basic programming and electronics to effectively accomplish some of my ideas. In addition, I'd like to see what other artists are doing with new media.

What comes to mind when you think about contemporary art? Theory and content are just as important, if not more important than skill. Having a voice a making it known through art.

Who are some of your favorite artists or creative inspirations? Tonya Solley Thornton, Chris Dacre, Sarah Applebaum. Artists who can effectively transform a plain gallery space into an exciting and interesting new world.

What is your most memorable experience of art as it occurs to you at this moment? When I was in high school, our class went on a field trip to the Whitney Biennial. This was the first time that I experienced contemporary art and could more thoroughly understand its content. I remember how exciting it was to realize that art could be more than a well drawn picture, that it had the power to reveal so much about humanity and the world we live in.

What is your favorite form of technology and how do you use it? I'll go with the basics and say the internet...I can't get enough of the endless information and communication it gives me.

Mike Ballard

What attracted you to this class?
-From it's description it looked like a very free-form course with a wide birth for creativity.

What do you hope to learn?
-Well now that I kind of have my bearings, I guess I hope to find new ways to make video art more interactive to the audience rather than just a visual experience. I think that I'd also like to divert my attention to new mediums I haven't really experienced.

-Art that depicts themes which are related to current events and or issues.

-Well, cinema has always sort of shaped my life and so I hate to be the only one here to name some sort of Hollywood star, but from an artistic perspective, I've found Stanley Kubrick to be one of my favorite directors in artistic expression through film.

-The first one to pop into my head was a crayon drawing I did in elementary school which my art teacher seemed to think was worthy of showing at the Decc in Duluth. It was a drawing of fruit people skate boarding around with various items I thought were cool; such as a grape man with an electric guitar, an apple with a sling shot...I think an Orange might have been carrying around boom-box or something? I don't know.

-Computers (Final Cut Pro)

Describe your experience with each of the following:

- making art
I've done that...I think.

- using a computer
I edit video with final cut pro; I have an understanding of photo shop; I am somewhat familiar with Maya for use in 3D animation, etc etc

- using hand tools and power tools
I know how to use them in order to put nails and screws in wood, and on rare occasions even cut the wood into pieces.

- using a sewing machine
Made an apron and some socks in a highschool home ec. course.

- using a laser cutter and other computer controlled machines
Seen too many Sci Fi movies to deal with those.

- programming
Nothing really.

- working with electronics
I only use them.

- soldering
Did some in high-school Industrial Tech

- installation art
Some photo installations and an animation display.

- interactive art
Not much at all.

- video
Well experienced in shooting, capturing, and editing video.

- sound art
Just using sound effects in video.

- photography
Just a little digital photography.

- sculpture
Nothing advanced.

- electronic music
Nope.

- drawing
I'm somewhat competent, but am no where near disciplined.

- I forgot to mention that I ....
Have super powers.

Nick Gentle

What attracted you to this class?
The name of the class, oddly enough. I'm pursing a BIS major with focuses in Art, Design, and New Media. The name of this class being "New Media: Making Art Interactive", I decided that this was a must in relation to what I am studying. I'm most interested in graphic design and artistic things that you can do with computers and newer technology. The whole idea of pushing the boundaries of what art is becoming and being innovative in discovering the future of where art is going is interesting to me and appealing when considering possible career opportunities.

What do you hope to learn?
I hope to have a broader scope of artistic backgrounds beyond typical pencil, paper, paint, graphic/computer designed art. The physical aspect of art and the interactivity of art are things that I hope to dive further into in this class.

I think of very technologically influenced pieces of art. I think of video more so than paper and canvas. I think of Photoshop more so than paint, charcoal, pen, pencil and crayons. I also think sculptures have become increasingly more popular in what could be considered "contemporary art".

I'm very inspired by music. I enjoy a pretty wide scope of music but the things that most influence a forward thinking mentality for me are bands like Explosions in the Sky and other instrumental artists. Artists that truly explore the space of music and make the listener just as much a part of the experience as the band. Art-wise, I tend to draw inspiration from the companies that design the CD booklets and other concept art for bands. Companies like Invisible Creature (formerly asterisk studio), Sons of Nero, and other groups like that.

I think attending the Spark Festival last year for an art class was really inspirational and encouraging. It really opened my mind to what people pursing artistic related careers can accomplish and it really set the tone for how creative and how "well done" things should be. One of the most interesting pieces that I experienced was a cellist who played by himself but with a delay/loop pedal of some kind. So he began playing and then a few seconds later it would repeat as he would continue with his composition. So you heard, what sounded like, several musicians playing at once and he created this very technical and at times very dark pieced of music that really appealed to my musical and creative senses.

I think definitely computers. Specifcally my MacBook Pro. I think using programs like Photoshop and iMovie/Final Cut to create computer-applied art and video is the most interesting form of art to me at the moment.

My interest in this course

What attracted you to this class?
I enjoy art in the interactive medium, and also I have strong interest in technology, electronics, programming, and this class seemed to be a method of combining my creative values with my technological pursuits.
What do you hope to learn?
I hope to learn things I do not already know, and things I am interested in learning, this class seemed to have a number of components that met that rubric. The Arduino interface is definitely an interest for me,
When I think of contemporary art I think of weird plastic molded shapes, square frame glasses, and provocative installations
Royksopp is one of my favorite artist at the moment, music videos included, I think they do a good job of combining audio and visual stimuli to create a mood.
My most memorable experience from art would be either working on the final project in the 1601 course or an installation in one of the Regis east galleries. This on was title the fox den, and it was really comfortable.
My favorite form of technology might be the XBOX use it to watch movies, and destroy zombies. It probably used to be my ipod, but I cant find it.

your interest in this course

What attracted you to this class?

What do you hope to learn?