eLight Documentation

| 1 Comment

Sara eLight still image.jpg

Video

At the beginning of this class I knew nothing of electronics and programming. I was disappointed in how the prototype strayed from my initial vision at the time of presentation; however, I now realize how much I learned during its creation. That is satisfying. I am excited to move on to more projects and eventually re-create this on a larger scale as intended.

In order to realize this on a larger scale, I would need to make some adjustments to the programming and construction. The signal tri-color LED on the top of the device was functioning opposite of my intention. I would rather have the LEDs off when the chime is at rest, and light up with rods hit to signal which rods are in use. In terms of construction, I would need to make adjustments to make the chimes more sensitive to wind and less bogged down with wires. Using conductive thread or yarn to suspend the rods would be more effective. Once these issues are worked out, I would take on building a bigger and cleaner housing for the device, complete with higher-powered fans to make the project human scale.

The code for this was meant to have the rods act as switches, with the center rod being a common ground which would activate a red, blue or green light on the tri-color signal. Different color combinations could be achieved by multiple rods in contact simultaneously. However, I had last minute issues with this. I rewired all the rods to be autonomous circuits that were constantly on HIGH. When these rods came in contact with the center rod, electricity would be dispersed and the corresponding LED color would be extinguished.

In addition to the rods being wired to the Arduino and tri-color, they also went to the circuit boards that controlled the flashing LEDs. These were wired in succession, so whenever the an outer rod came in contact with another outer rod, the LEDs would flash beginning with the sets of lights mounted above the activating rods.

1 Comment

Leave a comment