Recently in description Category

Shadow Light

shadow light 2011.m4v

calibrate code pdf.pdf

I was pleased with how the shadow light box turned out, even though it wasn't working perfectly. The piece is meant to be explored on both sides and call attention to the relationship between the show and the actor--the actors in this sense, are not necessarily performing, but they are exploring. That explorer cannot fully enjoy their show, because the lights that their shadow creates are displayed on the the other side of the board. The use of the lense helped add a mysterious quality to the contraption, and helped create a window effect, which almost surprisingly for me, conceptually realted to another idea of a window I had been thinkinking about for a different project. I was pleased when I discovered that connection!

All in all I think i would play more with the lighting of this piece. I probably would have had a more angled effect to produce a more strinking shadow, and also would have had a smaller slit of directed light, rather than it be so much like a spotlight.

I am interested in playing more with shadows and light--

We're sorry, you need Javascript enabled to view this video.

Artist presentation follow-up

I chose to focus on Jennifer Allora and Guillermo Calzadilla because they were some of the first artists that I encountered as a young person who were working interactively and who made me think critically about contemporary art.

Examples of their work:
Gladstone Gallery
Lisson Gallery
Youtube video of Wake Up
Walker exhibition that introduced me to them
Radio Re-Volt
A great interview by Paul Schmelzer

While I'm not drawn to make political art like these two artists, I do appreciate how they engage people in politics and the art instead of just making a statement. I don't make political art. I generally shy away from it. But I like how they are connected to community and are able to carry this into a high-art realm without losing focus. I think this idea of community is the motivation for incorporating interactivity into their work. That is what most informs my work. I don't follow the same path as they do, but I recognize the need to articulate a motivation for interactivity and to make sure that it serves a purpose rather than just because it makes a cool display.

Artists: Lozano-Hemmer, Boursier-Mougenot, and Byrne

Artist Presentation: Jim Campbell

This is a follow-up to my artist presentation about Jim Campbell.
Campbell worked with film and video early in his career, and now works primarily with LEDs, especially arranged in 3-dimensional fields. Campbell's education as an electrical engineer has given him a systems-thinking approach to things: on his website you can find a (humorous) systems diagram entitled "How to make computer art".

While he's better known for Scattered Light -- a 3D field of lights that displays people's movements in space -- I was particularly interested in Campbell's earlier sculptural work that use a variety of materials to explore time and memory. Pieces like Her Breath, Her Blinking explore how time is marked through various cycles. Simultaneous Perspective offers a reflective view of one's journey to the gallery. These pieces are perhaps explorations of our perception of time and space in the same way that Scattered Light is an exploration of our perception of visual information.

I compared Jim's work to that of Bernie Lubell, another San Francisco-based artist. As Diane pointed out, their work and motivation is quite different: Campbell is interested in information, seeing, and imagery -- how much information we need to understand what we're seeing -- and his materials are primarily digital. Lubell, on the other hand, creates work that is extremely tactile in how one experiences it. He creates machines out of wood and latex, and invites people to use these machines directly. Despite these stark differences, I see a common thread of interest in the themes of understanding the things we cannot see... time, memory, death... and often in playful, elegant, reflective ways.

Artist Presentations

Artist Presentations are designed to encourage you to find out about a range of artists who are working in the genre of New Media :: Making Art Interactive.

Chose an artist or collaborative group of artist as the focus of your presentation.

Plan a 20 minute presentation followed by a discussion based on a question that you pose to the group.

Include the following in your Artist Presentation:

• Background information about the artist.

• Discussion of what attracted you to the work of this artist.

• Two examples of this artist's work. Use these to describe the artist's relationship to concepts of interactivity and art as experience.

• Your perspective on how these works relate to the artist's larger body of work.

• A second artist whose work you consider to be relevant to the artist you selected as the focus of your artist presentation. Discuss the relevance via content, process, technology, perspective, etc. This may be another contemporary artist or an artist from another time period. This may be an artist working with interactivity or not.

• Discuss how these artists informs your own thinking.

• Propose a question, related to your presentation, as a catalyst for a 5 - 10 minute discussion with the class.

Following your presentation, enter a post on the blog that includes:

- a description of why you chose this artist
- links to examples of the artist's work
- a discussion of how this artist's work and/or process informs your thinking.

Introduce yourself to the work of a range of artists:

- Stephen Wilson's links

- Amy Young's links

- Ken Rinaldo's links

- Hiroshi Ishii's Tangible Media Group

- We Make Money Not Art

- Rhizome