Recently in project descriptions Category

Tangented 2.0!

tangented.JPG

Our most recent realization of our interactive sound sculpture incorporates aesthetic additions to the object itself (namely the white "canvas" paint job) as well as improved software design and an immersive 6-channel speaker array.

tangented.m4v
Tangented_2.0.maxpat

Jamie and Sara Final Project Documentation

Jamie and I are pleased because we were finally able to see our collaborative project through to near completion. Of course there were some glitches (we burned out 2 light bulbs so they weren't working when we did the demo) and I need more practice writing code so that I don't feel like I'm flying blind.

Audio files:
1
2
3
4
5
6

Technical details:

This is the code I used to test the switches by using the serial monitor to read a high or low signal. Pulled from Ladyada's Tutorial #5:
switch_test.pde

This is the code I used to test the relays to make sure they were wired correctly. Set the pin number that the relay is connected to and it will turn it on for 10 seconds upon reset.
relay_test.pde

And this is the diagram that I used (mostly) for wiring the relays:
relay.pdf

But the information on this website helped with the wiring also:
Relay

This is the final code that we used in the presentation:
collab_audioandrelay_final.pde

Most of the Waveshield code was pulled from examples that Ladyada had posted here:
Use Waveshield

Using the example to play once through but allow other buttons to interrupt, we were able to add on code from the switch tutorials for the relays.

A (mostly) accurate wiring diagram was posted on our project update post a while ago, so I'll skip that here. But here are the images of the wiring setups. We had two breadboards: one hooked up to switches and the analog pins on the waveshield, the other for transistors and going to the relays through the digital pins.

s&j1.jpg

s&j2.jpg

s&j3.jpg

s&j5.jpg

s&j8.jpg

s&j10.jpg

Light Canopy Concept

Light Canopy

An interactive light canopy is suspended over a small urban park.

Project Discription

I've decided to go with an idea I've had for a while about exploring city lights, the urban environment and scale. I am interested in the aesthetic of city lights and am also interested in imagining the interactions behind the light we see. When first brainstorming ideas for this project I did a little bit of research about light theory to generate ideas and I revisited pretty basic concepts that I learned in 9th grade but found myself fascinated in a whole new way. This notion of the disconnect between what we see and what we can feel-- we can touch things of the physical world and actually be connected to it, but what we see is never actually the thing itself, but the light reflected.

So I am going to create a miniature urban environment that produces light when some interaction takes place on a human scale. I imagine eventually building multiple life size environments in which such interactions can take place, but for the sake of the prototype for next week it will be perhaps contact mikes embedded in objects that get touched.

There will also be a mirror that will reflect the light of the miniature environment onto the ceiling so that the interactivity can be enjoyed by those directly involved in the process. The light that is seen is not directly connected to the physical interaction, but a reflection of it on the ceiling. A third party (not directly involved in the interaction) can also enjoy the miniature environment as well as the behind the scenes interaction producing the light that they see.

This concept is something I hope to build on throughout the semester, but for next week I will have a prototype of the urban environment and at least a single successful interaction producing light.

I will attach a few images that have been an inspiration for this concept
dprk-dmsp-dark.jpg