Recently in eLight documentation Category

Sadlet

| No Comments

I'm excited that my Sadlet is working the way it was intended. I plan on continuing to work on it by including the micro controller inside the bracelet as well as a rechargeable battery, possibly getting an ipod battery or similar to fit inside. I will also make it adjustable in size by including adjustable magnetic therapy bands in the straps. I struggle with documenting my artwork as I go on and even when it is finished. I am trying to do a better job of documentation, but I enjoy the process of creating artwork more than the finished product so documenting hasn't really been important for me. But, I will share a video and photos thanks to the people who documented my Sadlet as well as the arduino code that I appropriated and customized for the Sadlet. In the future I will plan to do fritzing for my electronic projects.

sadsledbraclet.pde
View image
sadlet.mp4

eLight Documentation

| 1 Comment

Sara eLight still image.jpg

Video

At the beginning of this class I knew nothing of electronics and programming. I was disappointed in how the prototype strayed from my initial vision at the time of presentation; however, I now realize how much I learned during its creation. That is satisfying. I am excited to move on to more projects and eventually re-create this on a larger scale as intended.

In order to realize this on a larger scale, I would need to make some adjustments to the programming and construction. The signal tri-color LED on the top of the device was functioning opposite of my intention. I would rather have the LEDs off when the chime is at rest, and light up with rods hit to signal which rods are in use. In terms of construction, I would need to make adjustments to make the chimes more sensitive to wind and less bogged down with wires. Using conductive thread or yarn to suspend the rods would be more effective. Once these issues are worked out, I would take on building a bigger and cleaner housing for the device, complete with higher-powered fans to make the project human scale.

The code for this was meant to have the rods act as switches, with the center rod being a common ground which would activate a red, blue or green light on the tri-color signal. Different color combinations could be achieved by multiple rods in contact simultaneously. However, I had last minute issues with this. I rewired all the rods to be autonomous circuits that were constantly on HIGH. When these rods came in contact with the center rod, electricity would be dispersed and the corresponding LED color would be extinguished.

In addition to the rods being wired to the Arduino and tri-color, they also went to the circuit boards that controlled the flashing LEDs. These were wired in succession, so whenever the an outer rod came in contact with another outer rod, the LEDs would flash beginning with the sets of lights mounted above the activating rods.

Ice Light Documentation

| No Comments

ice-light-still2-kristen.jpg

Video clip

Arduino code

Wiring diagram

I'm happy that I got the eLight prototype to a stage where it could be played with by others. It was a bigger frustration dealing with the ice than I imagined (I was surprised how easily it melted! I've been so cold all winter, I thought surely it would melt slower than it did!) -- I'm glad that I stuck with it and got the components working in the ice. I was happy that it generated the conversation that it did, and I was surprised at some of the comments, which was exciting to me: the sensory conflict of seeing water and wires together, the potential for the shape of the ice, and different possibilities for the behavior of the light. I was happy the idea was expressed enough that it could generate more ideas.

Next steps:
I was so focused on getting the basic elements to work, that I didn't get a chance to experiment with a number of design decisions that were thus made in a kind of default way. I'd like to try different shapes of ice and different ways of placing (or hanging) them. I'd also like to keep experimenting with the programming. I'm happy with the general operation, but would like to try a more regular pulse as the counter to the erratic flicker. And I'm still intrigued with the idea of multiples, perhaps which all behave slightly differently.

Bradley Wright - eLight Prototype Documentation

| No Comments

189374_10100460073715520_13954312_68556740_7366311_n.jpg

Video Link: Click Here

Arduino Code: Click here

Wiring Diagram: Click here

Statement:
I think I have managed to capture and recreate the quality of light I was looking for, in that it communicates a sense of fragility and "aliveness". I enjoy the feeling and visual appearance of the object the light is housed within, even though it currently is stuck to the breadboard.

Next steps:
Firstly, I will need to make or find a larger object to house the Arduino, LEDs, battery, and other components. The next challenge would be to replace the function of the "button press" with the object being picked up or touched. This will require finding an appropriate material and sensor that will preserve the desirable elements in the current version while allowing the next steps to occur. I do not yet know what type of sensor or material would be workable to achieve this.

eLight documentation

| No Comments


Post the documentation of your eLight prototype in this category prior by Monday 3/7.

You documentation includes:


  • photo [or video frame] of your eLight prototype as presented


  • edited video clip of your presentation


  • code for your project


  • wiring diagram / sketch


  • short statement of what you are happy with with your eLight prototype


  • short statement of next steps as you imagine them at this time