Recently in prototype descriptions Category

My sketch-Boyuan Yang

DSC00083.JPG

Crude prototype

shoe in flat (off) position. Incomplete connection

100_0864.JPG

Toe of shoe tilted up (on) position. Complete connection.

100_0863.JPG

Exploring Color through Movement

Project Idea Simon Says

For my project, I wanted to make something that can actually be interacted with as entertainment. With the idea of touch and light this game I played as a kid came to mind. With different color lights and switches I can incorporate the two aspects together.

Icy lights

I'd like to explore the idea of waiting with my sketch, by creating something that responds to the time of your interaction with it. I'm imagining an LED that is embedded in an object that you can pick up and hold, perhaps a paper mache ball or an ice globe. The LED lights when you pick up the globe, and turns off when you set it down, but it's not a simple on and off -- instead the LED fades depending on how long you held the globe: a slow fade if the globe was held for a long time, a short fade, if the globe was held briefly. I may play with animating the light in some way while it's on -- making it pulse or flicker or change color in some way. I may also try the reverse -- having it turn off when you pick up the globe, and slowly turn back on.

ice-sketch.jpg

Feb 15, 2011: I've been testing the program, as well as the ice and parts. The circuits aren't seeming to work when encased in the ice (the water is shorting them), so I think I'll need to use heat shrink around the leads. The LED illuminates the ice in a really nice way, though.

ice-lights2.jpg

Feb 18, 2011: Yesterday I got a couple of version of the program working. In one, the LED starts dim, becomes bright when you hold it, and fades out when you set it down. In the other, I tried a suggestion of Teroy's and flipped it so that the LED starts bright and gets dim when you hold it. I've just been prototyping it with a small paper globe, and I haven't incorporated the tilt sensor yet. I know that will change things... The tilt sensor is still a little finicky, so I think I need to play with the pull-up resistor value (perhaps?). This is the biggest challenge I'm facing at the moment.

paper-globe-feb17.jpg

Accidental Violence

flicker-out.gif

I'd like to explore the idea of light as a metaphor for life, and the feeling of accidentally causing harm to it whether or not you intend to.
The sort of object I'd like to use would be some sort of faintly lit soft object, and I've been looking at paper lamps due to their light weight and the way they absorb light.

The object itself will have to be created as I go, but there are some goals I have for this project. I would like to examine and exhibit some of the feelings associated with empowerment, and also with the destruction we cause in our everyday lives.
To detail, I would like the participant to have some feelings of being like a terrible giant, who can only destroy, even the things he/she cherishes. The light-emitting object should communicate fragility, innocence, nature, and life.
Ideally, the participant will kill and witness the death of something they see as a good thing, but hopefully without getting caught up in symbolism.

The concept of the piece would be for it to fade and "die" essentially in a way due to the overwhelming 'power' of the presence of the touch of the participant.
I'm interested in looking into making color and flickering effects help make this communication of feeling more effective.
Some potential flaws in the concept are that it relies on empathy which may or may not be present, and the connection is subtle enough where it may be missed altogether.

My project idea-Boyuan Yang

For this project, mainly I want to make a LED balance which use different color of light for weighing a object. The ordinary one will be like use a weight for balance, now I will use color for balance, and on the emotional and interactive aspect, different color will bring people different feeling, so like red color give people a feeling of alert and intense, blue color bring people a peace and quiet feeling, yellow give us a warm and neutral feeling and the green color gives us a feeling of right. So like when we want to weigh a pen(usually, it weigh 50g), red color weight can represent very heavy weight which around 100g to 200g, so if we first try use red color weight, when the LED light feel inbalance, it will blink the red light at a very very high like ambulance, and now we know this is over heavy, so we change to a more netural yellow LED light, which represent like 50g-100g, since this LED light is a little bit more heavier than the weight of the pen, it will blink at a very very low frequency, then we choose to use green, which represent 20g-50g, at this time, we see the LED green light almost have no reaction of blinking, which we can have a result like the pen weigh around 20g to 50g. This is just my first idea, now I'm trying to think about how to make the LED balance as more accuracy as possible.

Jamie's Project Description

My project consists of LED lights incorporated into clothing accessories, in this case a hat, that responds to a trigger in the sole of shoe that responds to added pressure. Initially I'm interested in developing this light system on the most simple level, meeting the stipulation of touch through the pressure trigger in the shoe. But then, by incorporating the Arduino I'll explore how I can pre-program this system to respond to levels of sound and patterns of touch.
I plan on using this shoe-hat LED accessory for the purposes of complementing a live performative piece. A stand-up comedy act, or musical performance, for example, may be enhanced through the manual or pre-programmed/automatic use of colored light.

Eventually I'd like to transition to sound as the trigger and, in a separate idea, sound as the output from a touch sensation trigger.

Bright ideas...

Brett_led.JPG

I'm interested in the playful connection between the expression of epiphany and illumination-the traditional image of lights turning on when one has a bright idea. This can be realized through the gesture of touching graphite sticks (or fingers with sensors) to a conductive surface vis a vis drawing or writing. Thus, connection of graphite or sensors--an expression of realizing epiphany--would effectively complete the circuit to illuminate space. This would be somehow mapped to luminosity, color, opacity, etc.

The ultimate goal is to reward physical expression of creative gesture via illumination.

Another possibility could include two graphite sticks to remotely interface two users. The circuit configuration could facilitate a process of "finding each other" via completing circuits and triggering light responses. This is could be contextualized in a generic way to reflect on the ancient art of letter writing.

challenges:
- How is the drawing/writing moderated?
- Is there a directive, motivation or purpose that would encourage a certain kind of expressive engagement?
- How does the expression of epiphany correspond to the linearity of using a pen-like object like a graphite stick or finger?
- What is the connection between light-epiphany and writing/drawing?
- How can creating "graphite pathways" be engaged via gesture in interesting ways and in ways that will encourage deeper levels of interaction?
- Conceive of ways to map regions on the conductive surface that correspond to different LED responses.

First project on a cold winter day

My plan is to make an illuminated LED American flag. That can be attached to the back of a person's shirt. The LED lights will go on and off displaying a lighted American flag. The display will be turned off and on when the straps are attached on the front.