Recently in the concept project Category

Brett's concept project

My concept project incorporates the exploration of visual and sonic relationships produced by ecosystemic data mapping. More specifically, I'm interested how distinct spaces sharing a common boundary (e.g. rooms in a building or buildings within a university) could be melded into a common space, or "composite audiovisual ecosystem."

I would use microphones to track the sonic profiles of multiple distinct environments, preferably public spaces--libraries, hallways, cafes, playgrounds, etc. Using custom software, I would extract frequency and amplitude information from these signals in realtime and transform them into a series of data streams. These fluctuating data streams would be structurally coupled to various sound parameters of the audio signals being tracked, as well as video of the environments. This would form a "net" of data connections among the various spaces. This "net" of data couplings would enable the characteristic sounds events of each respective environment to induce change in the audio and video signals of the others, thus informing the overall audiovisual output of the piece. (The audiovisual output would include multiple realtime video projections as well as a multichannel speaker array.) In effect, the composite audiovisual output would represent the interactive intersection of multiple spaces in a single environment.

Epic interactive Blood Pressure art

This title may sounds really strange, but it is actually one conceptual interactive that I'm thinking about. Human body have its own blood pressure, and during certain status, due to the nervousness or happiness, the blood pressure itself will adjust a little bit by the physical change of surroundings, so i try to make a digital wall with digital painting which will respond and start to paint on the digital wall by the changing of the blood pressure, and there is an enclosed area around the digital wall which will use special visual and sound effect to create different moods for human, so we can totally interact with the surroundings, and our blood pressure will change and it will interact with the digital painting, it is kind of like a way to express and exhibit your inside inner physical struggle by this abstractive way.

Public Play Installations

I live in south Minneapolis where there is at least one public park for every neighborhood. I've been thinking lately about a post-graduation project where I would begin teaching myself how to build small play structures and install them in various parks around my, and other, neighborhoods.
I think I find this interesting because of how it relates to street art as a way of reclaiming public space, and also because it deals with the idea of play and recreation/relaxation in everyday life, as well as potentially appealing more to children. I also like that it is a project that could exist outside of art institutions, a kind of flexibility that I'm trying to explore more.
I think it would be interesting to see how long a renegade play structure could exist in a public space designated for that kind of structure but without permission, though I'm also interested in the reaction to placing something of this nature in a government or business center where it would be much more out of context.

Light Canopy Concept

Light Canopy

An interactive light canopy is suspended over a small urban park.

Bradley Wright - Conceptual Project Proposal

I've been imagining a project wherein two participants would exchange their perception.
The inspiration for the project came from thinking about the subjectivity of perception and witnessing mental illness in people that I know. The intended effect would be an out-of-body experience that forces the participants to reassess the role of our senses and how our body interprets them, and further to investigate the amount of trust we can place in our perception of the world around us.

Some people, particularly those who are afflicted with mental illness, experience reality in ways that are different from the way most of us experience it. Even between two healthy "normal" individuals, there are differences in perception.
"Perception is subjective." We shouldn't take it for granted.

To go into more detail, the two people would enter an open space with different everyday objects around them. In principle, it could be any kind of space, but the piece would be more effective if the participants were within line of sight of one another.

Imagine that you have lost all use of your senses for a short time, and then they return, but they are those of another body. You are in control of your body, it's movements, but the senses you possess are not your own. You are experiencing the space as perceived through the sight, hearing, smell, taste, and touch of another. Since we rely mostly on sight and sound, those alone would be sufficient to create most of the experience.

If the two participants, in the same space, were to see one another, they would be seeing themselves, and thereby obtain the only reasonable way to navigate the space safely, and once again become aware of their bodies.

Conceptual Project Proposal

sara temp.jpg

I am interested in exploring spaces as a way to create an experience for the viewer that they are allowed to investigate as they move through it. I'm also interested in seeing things that aren't meant to be seen and overhearing things that aren't meant to be heard by others. These ideas play a role in this proposed project. I plan to divide a room into a main "exhibition space" where the room is empty except for light bleeding into the room through a peephole. People can then approach this and see a performance in the next room. They are also allowed to enter a copy of the performance space (made to feel like the original) but will have an eerie feeling as if being watched. I like the ideas of environment evoking feeling, of fragmenting the viewer's perspective, of shifting the roles of viewer/viewed, of an action being both compelling and gross.

Conceptual Project Proposal

I feel a bit like a broken record, but I want to continue to think about transit shelters and waiting through this conceptual project, especially with the opportunity to think about it not in terms of a particular technology. The construction of the Central Corridor keeps these places in my mind, along with a recent conversation I had with a community developer who is working with several organizations to think about how to engage residents of a neighborhood in a discussion of an upcoming project at bus stops.

Public transportation in the Twin Cities is not used across demographics to the same degree that it is in some other larger cities (New York or Boston, for example). There are certainly well-used commuter routes that bring people into the downtowns from city neighborhoods and suburbs at rush-hour times, but during the rest of the day bus ridership is made up of people who don't have the option of a car: lower income people, the elderly, disabled people, youth and students--people who typically are more likely to be left out of democratic processes.

It would be interesting to incorporate technology into transit shelters--places of waiting--that creates a dialog between riders, or between the city or other neighborhood organizations and riders. Web 2.0 and texting has led to more participant/listener/user polls in the last few years, and this could be a mode of communication to experiment with at a shelter.

I can imagine this taking shape in a few ways: as a kiosk for inputting text or images, or a simple display that provides a number to send a text to, with a prompt or a question that could change fairly often. This information not only gets stored or sent to the city or planning organization, but would also be visualized at the transit stop in some way, projected onto the ground or wall surface directly (as text) or as an abstracted graph or other representation, creating interesting and beautiful transit lighting. Information between different stops and routes could be displayed comparatively or shared on a website.

Conceptual Proposal

Lately I have been thinking a lot about the transformation of the urban landscape. I work for U of M landcare and in the last couple of weeks I have watched the building I first came to know last year as a student employee be quickly demolished, the landscape leveled to reveal a new perspective of the city. The building is gone, every trace of it, within two or three weeks. Since the beginning of this year I have worked out of a new building down the road, so I have no particular emotional attachment to the old building other than any attachment one has with their habitual environment. But then if I meditate on that space just a while longer I remember that it was there that I dragged the debris and dumped the sand, there that I reported to at the wee hours of a blizzard morning to begin shoveling out the university;there that I learned how to drive the giant water truck and all sorts of utility vehicles; there that I learned how to be the girl; and there the building that supported the work that was the structured framework for stability during the truculence of life.

Geographers are interested in the changing landscape and question the nature of the patterns of social, economic and political development across space. I share this interest and these questions, but I feel that where geography suddenly becomes art is when I meditate on these a little longer, and I ask what does this mean. I want to not only study how the landscapes are changing and transforming, but what does this mean for the intricate intersections of people and activity, the interactions with the environment itself.

The old ladder building will be a major Light Rail Transit hub for transportation in a couple years. The Central Corridor LRT Line too, for better or worse, will completely transform the landscape we presently know. I don't know if it is the geographer or the artist in me that gets excited about demolitions and construction, the notion of things like "the edge of campus" or a road that trails off into nothingness. Last summer I was doing field work to update the National Wetland Inventory for Minnesota and came across the remnants of an old highway no longer in use. The sculpted landscape still retained the likeness of a highway-- a long stretch of flattened out terrain with no trees but wild growth of grasses and low-lying shrubs-- and I failed to do the research to find out how long the road had been discontinued. Maybe part of me enjoyed not knowing, there was a spookiness to the whole scene that I like to remember. Behind the stadium, the parking lot which I used to revere as "the edge of campus" is now being dug into a giant hole soon to be transformed into a research building that will block out the big sky and train tracks.

For my conceptual proposal, I have imagined a lot of things along the lines of constructing a building that once constructed will embody the memory of its construction. Such that you can go up to a wall and hear the sounds of the wall being created, or in the middle of a room you can hear the wind that might have once whipped throughout the interior of that space. Another idea would be the leveled landscape once occupied by a building could retrain structure in the mapping of the sounds that once lived within that space. In a way this reminds me of the history museum's exhibit about a house that was inhabited by four families with very different cultural backgrounds. However I wouldn't want this to be a permanent installation, but something that could be installed and reinstalled again at another time. This idea would be particularly poignant in places where land change has really disrupted their lives and communities.

Another idea would be to grant responsibility of a temporary development of a parcel of land to a community arts organization that puts the development of that space within the hands of the people. Say there was a ground rule, that nothing could be permanent and nobody could be excluded. Depending on the space, it would be interesting to see how planning would be handled on a very small scale. What sort of temporary structures would people built, who would participate, who wouldn't. Who would interact within that space, who wouldn't? I would be interested to see the dialogue and the outcomes of such a project.

My new idea (for in the near future)

So, I would like to give the viewer an experience of what it would be like to be traveling through or over a cityscape, similar to helicopter tours or a superhero's perspective. I would make huge urban sculptures out of polystyrene and mount then onto walls, ceilings and floors (tag the space if you will) and then cover them in paint. I will also make them interactive by cutting slits and holes in them and mount leds, projections or other lights in them or on them that respond by proximity and/or movement.

The Concept Project

The Concept Project is designed to offer you the opportunity to imagine an interactive art work without the constraints of available resources. It centers on an idea that you are passionate about. It is not bound by your budget, access to space, the availability of the technology that you suggest, nor your current set of skills.

The Concept proposal provides an opportunity to think in the medium of interactive art.
As you describe your concept you will be communicating your ideas related to interactivity in art, what it means to you, and how you imagine people encountering, engaging or otherwise interacting with you project.

Use any media necessary to convey your idea. Visual media such as drawings, photos, video, animations, text, diagrams, audio are among the media that may be useful. Your goal is to communicate your project concept such that other people are able to imagine it as clearly as you do.

By design, the Concept Proposal does not describe a project that you are required to realize, rather it's purpose is to stretch your imagination.

If you choose to, you can use the Concept Project as an opportunity to develop a project that has been on your mind, one that you would like to realize.